Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Everywhere!!!

Old 03-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Everywhere!!!

I believe your legitimate rympierce, unfortunately I can't help that much as I've never killed more than one at a time, but it is correct that if you drop them in their tracks I beleive the rest are less likely to run....immediately anyway. You never know though. Hope you guys put the meat to good use. If you don't get them all at once then at least you'll have an excuse to go out the next day too. It's contagious...hunting you know
Old 03-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why didn't you let people hunt them in the past years ???????????
Old 03-24-2005, 05:42 PM

This is the first year I've farmed this piece of land.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:47 PM

Sorry,I could not resist.Good luck too you.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rym, I'm in the area. I would consider getting a bow or gun permit for your county if you need assistance. I hunt Illinois and Indy, usually in Laporte County. Where are you at?
Old 03-25-2005, 11:38 AM

Try a scarecrow.....
Old 03-25-2005, 11:56 AM

rym,

I believe your serious, and I hope you can manage them well enough to regain control of your crops.

However, before you indiscriminately kill them. Take a look at how you would better serve yourself and others. While you look at the deer as vermin, they really are a resource for all.

If you try to take larger does from the herd decimating your field, you will better protect your future crops.

Mature does, produce more offspring than young does. Therefore, by taking them, you lessen the amounts of future deer. They also provide more meat for your family and friends.

So when you have the chance to shoot them. Try to shoot the biggest doe you can. If you can get one or two a day, you should be happy. Dont think you can eliminate them entirely though, and dont try to.

In future years, consider inviting a responsible hunter to manage the deer herd for you.

Also if you want them entirely out of your crops, there is a thing called "plot saver". It is a tape with scent or something that deters deer. You would post it around your field and they would steer clear.

Best of luck....Matt
Old 03-26-2005, 08:55 AM

I'm in Porter county and the hay field in in Morgan Township. I just started farming last year, so I'm new to the whole animal control process. DNR came out and told me I could use a bow, handgun, or shotgun, so I'm gonna try it with a shotgun first I think.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the tips! I'm going out tonight before sunset and I'll definately look for large does. My plan is to try and find a couple other guys to hunt the area with me next year during deer season more diligantly to try and control the population a little better. If that doesn't work I'll definately lok into that 'plot saver' stuff. Thanks again!
Old 03-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

im in ohio and do alot of bow hunting in the tri-state area, if you want help ill come out and introduce myself, i am also new to farming, im helping my uncle with his new property, he knows alot about farming. I would be than happy to provide the meat to feed the hungry and myself!!

Quick Reply: Deer Everywhere!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.