Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Blind vs Stand

Old 03-09-2005, 03:54 PM

Default RE: Blind vs Stand

I've seen many deer from deer stands and think that your less likely to be seen by a deer if your in a treestand, if you do everything right. I've sat on ground blinds before and have only seen one deer while on a ground blind. But right as i was going to lift up my gun, it caught a glimpse of my elbow moving and ran off. Boy, he was a nice 10 ptr. While sitting on the ground blind, I've always thought that if a deer came into range, would i be able to swing my gun to get a shot. I think it's easier to hunt from a treestand then in a ground bind.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:43 AM

I think it all has to do with which type of land your hunting. On my property we have thick pines on one end where a tree stand really couldn't be used. On another side it is heavy brush where only a tree stand can be used.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt from a tree stand. Don't like being on the ground with the Water Moccasins during the early bow season. Seperated one from his head last year at about 3 feet with a two bladed broadhead. Wouldn't have seen him except he hissed at me before I almost stepped on him.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:45 AM

I think everyone here has pretty much all the major points already covered. Yes there are advantages specific to ground blind hunting and tree stands. I will just repeat what the others already have said. Both work well. It depends on the location you are hunting and the geographical and vegatative properties of the surrondings. As pointed out a tree stand doesn't work very well in a young pine forest. First off it is a problem putting it up then there is the visibilty factor which will be next to nothing in a young planation pine forest.
In mature hardwoods it is very tough to beat the visibility and stealth aspects (scent benefits, above eye level, ect...) that you get in a tree stand. However if your up 25 ft in the tree and the deer are staying out of range and are starting to walk away ist pretty tough to get out of the stand and stand to stalk them. While in a ground blind that can be easily accomplished and as a matter of fact the doe I got this year happend just that way. I in New York's southern zone so its shotgun only where I hunt. A group of does were walking aand feeding about 130 yds below my ground blind (I have a smooth bore and shoot rifled foster slugs) when I was sitting in. Then they slowly walked across a drop off on the hill. I got out of my blind and walked very slowly down to the top of the ridge where the drop off starts. They were about 50-60 yards below still browsing on the small saplings in the area when I took my shot. It would of been near impossible to get out of my Summit Viper to due this. I hunt both out of tree stands and ground blinds. I have 7 ladder tree stands on my property, 2 wooden ground blinds and my Summit Viper and during the course of a deer hunting season I use them all. It just depends on the situation.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:53 AM

I tend to use blinds more since a lot of places have restrictions on tree stands. While this makes things a lot more difficult, the thrill of matching wits and trying to get and/or being eyeball-to-eyeball with your quarry is something I can never get enough of.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Fork Horn

Hunted outta a tree for the first time this year - wasnt too bad - havent ever used a ground blind - I personally dont like stationary hunting - the deer i shot this year made me stalk him for about 1/4 mile before i could get a good shot at him - I like my mobility - but I am planning on doing the tree stand thing again this season
Old 03-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Stand.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love a treestand.. Never hunted without one unless it was below -20 degress or raining much to hard... Then I would go to the old shack... I love the way the stand gets you out in the open and able to be like your almost the tree.. whether or not you see deer or anything you see things happen around you and it gets your scent up.. I guess a shack would to be just my opinion?
Old 03-23-2005, 04:58 AM

early in the season i ground hunt in the clover fields as the pressure increases i move off the field to the wood line with my tree stand im lucky i get to spend a lot of time where i hunt so i scout starting in the summer i hunt mostly meat i havnt figured out how to cook them horns yet i did see a few nice bucks i guess this year ill shoot them bucks with my camera my son will probably take a buck he loves looking at them horns dont get me wrong ill take a buck but i prefer doe meat the does normally show up first i dont take chances when i see a deer that can fill the freezer i whack em no little ones not much meat on em i save those for next year unless one of the kids are with me i let them take a little one if its there first hunt
Old 03-25-2005, 03:21 PM

I personally would rather be in a tree,but since I slipped getting into a tree stand two years ago,and I am now a paraplegic I hunt out of ground blinds.Hunting out of blinds can be very thrilling and rewarding,but it is also alot harder,and it will make you a better hunter if you want to continue to kill the big boys.

Quick Reply: Blind vs Stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.