Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Boone and Crockett OR BTR ..which is more fair? >

Boone and Crockett OR BTR ..which is more fair?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Boone and Crockett OR BTR ..which is more fair?

Old 03-14-2005, 04:27 PM

Default RE: Boone and Crockett OR BTR ..which is more fair?

Neither is fair.

I score my deer my way which is the only real way (no Im not tryin to sound like I know everything). Heres how I do it.

I dont have penalties, I dont subtract differences, I include every single bit of the antler in the total score, I include the outside and inside spread into the total score, I include the tip to tip spread into the total score, I dont have a "net score", the gross score is the REAL score of the animal.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeep4x4

Neither is fair.

I score my deer my way which is the only real way (no Im not tryin to sound like I know everything). Heres how I do it.

I dont have penalties, I dont subtract differences, I include every single bit of the antler in the total score, I include the outside and inside spread into the total score, I include the tip to tip spread into the total score, I dont have a "net score", the gross score is the REAL score of the animal.
Actually you don't, I see no mention of tine mass (circumference) calculated (neither does B&C).

As far as deductions are concerned, typical racks should encounter them...most would agree that symmetry should be a factor where typical scoring is concerned. Should those deductions be insignificant, very well...should they be outrageous, they frequently fall into the non-typical category anyway where deductions aren't nearly as punitive.

Inside spread is actually a fair measurement, it's measured from main beam to main beam (pretty reliable indicator). On the other hand, should a buck happen to have a sticker or two protruding way outside the main beam(s) for outside spread, it could offer an unfair additional bonus due to a silly sticker or two, whereas the main beam(s) position remains reliable.

It also makes sense to me why 'tip to tip' isn't factored in by B&C. Take a look at the two bucks below. Do you consider it fair and reasonable for the latter of the two to garner oh, let's say 15 more inches in raw or net score for the 'tip to tip' versus the former? It seems B&C does allow some room for 'character' after all lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...deer886-tn.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...deer887-tn.jpg

So, theoretically (using your scoring system), a spindly eight pointer with a couple of crazy-long outside stickers and a super-wide 'tip to tip' could surpass some of the higher scoring bucks out there. Sorry, but I must defer to B&C.

No offense intended Jeep, I'm all for thinking outside the box.

It's not a perfect science, but B&C does a remarkable job, in my book...they serve as the benchmark where scoring is concerned, despite their few flaws.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im with what is you said Bo ...sounds good to me!
Old 04-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeep cant blame you Bro ..
Old 04-24-2005, 05:50 AM
Typical Buck

Very true.It is my opinion that buckmasters only came up with their own scoring system to gain publicity for themselves.

I look at it this way. Buckmasters is a company. They are out to make a profit. Jackie Bushman basically created this scoring system to draw more attention to his company. I have no respect for JB whatsoever. Goes on too many canned hunts. Boone&Crockett and Pope&Young on the other hand are organizations. They aren't out to make a profit. Their scoring system has worked without problems for decades. Mass around points isn't given. Sure,some may consider than a bad thing. I really dont. Spread should be scored because it matters.

I'm with these guys, Sick of them calling to get me to join their phony club. Always some sexy voiced gal. They invented a club to make money!!!!!! Baaahhhh
Old 04-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Everything Striper Phil just said....ditto ditto ditto. Most of these hunting "organizations" or "clubs" are nothing but business for profit for their inner circle of owners. Texas Trophy Hunters, Buckmasters and even some of the "foundations" for various wild life are just business to their founders. If they quit bringing in tons of money and free hunts the owners would close shop and find something else. But you get a cool decal on your truck and get to be on the team, don't you?
B&C was founded by Teddy Roosevelt for true hunters and the administrations of B&C has changed hands many times and it continues to serve the same purpose it was designed for, it will be around long after Buckmasters has gone out of business.
While I do disagree with the "drying period" for deer antlers before they are scored that B&C requires, I believe they are head and shoulders above buckmasters.
The idea with most of these organiztions is to send you a window decal or a hat or whatever to make you believe you belong to an organization with a greater purpose.
The problem is that these organizations use their membership dues for what ever they want to. The greater purpose of the Texas Trophy Hunters Assoc., is to pay for Jerry Johnson's 5 private ranches that he and his cronies hunt. Try calling them sometime and telling them that you are a member and you want to hunt on one of his ranches since your dues paid for it.
Join the NRA, at least their dues and contributions go to lobbying and conservation efforts for hunters. Their money and how it is used is public info.