Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Boone and Crockett OR BTR ..which is more fair? >

Boone and Crockett OR BTR ..which is more fair?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Boone and Crockett OR BTR ..which is more fair?

Old 03-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Boone and Crockett OR BTR ..which is more fair?

Jag does that mean you feel that spread has more value then mass? I think everyone is intitled to their opinion and that is why I posted THIS question. I prefer mass to spread so I suppose thats what makes the world go around is difference in opinion. I have only ever harvested one record book (185 BTR and 175 B&C) deer so I really have no preference when it comes to scoring a deer BUT it just seems unfair to me that if a deer has one main beam that measures 24 inches and the other is 23.5 ....THEN you ALSO get to count the "air" ( say 18in ) that makes the inside spread seems to me you actually get double credit in MOST cases for the main beams 24+23.5+18= 65.5 .... now I am sure I must be wrong about this but it just seems that way to me. I would think if you are scoring the rack you would want to measure JUST rack ... at any rate I appreciate everyones opinion ..this is a GREAT forum.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

"does that mean you feel that spread has more value then mass?"

In a word...... yes, BUT..... I do believe BOTH tremendously effect the charcter of a buck. The difference of a "skinny horned" buck with 4" circums compared to a "heavy" buck with 5" circums is 8". I believe a buck with an additional 8" of inside spread over say the normal 18"...... that's a whooping 26" inside spread on the smae animal would!!! That is worth some serious points in "shock value" and should indeed be rewarded as major charcter!!! It's ALL of a racks "charcter" that defines the uniqueness of the "trophy" and makes him that much more special. This is why I strongly believe the spread should always be in ANY desription, records or otherwise.

An axample:

This buck is in fact a VERY impressive animal regardless of any score. As is, he IS a ture world class animal by any definition. He NETS an awesome 208 5/8" B&C and is without a doubt one of the highest scoring "basket racks" of all-time with a spread around 12". However, IF this buck were to carry a 24" inside spread he would have netted over 220" B&C!! Just imagine what he would look like??? I say that the additional "shock value" of the buck with it's larger spread should indeed be factored into the score and would most certainly agree with the UPgrade to it's final tally. I say to NOT count inside spread is an injustice to an incredible crown!

Old 03-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

I am with IL-CORNFED

The wider racks should get the points. I have many very nice buckssome very wide some not at all.It is just one more way to make a buck as big as they can be.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

my "basket" rack

Old 03-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

my "basket" rack
Old 03-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, and as I've told you many times, that's an awesome buck! Now..... just imagine IF he had a 25" inside spread...... don't you think that would have even made him MORE special and that just for having that much more shock value the animal should most certainly get the "credit" for growing it. A spread,..... just like the actual bone is what nature gave it..... that's why I believe that spread should most certainly count towrds the final score of any buck.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath
Jag does that mean you feel that spread has more value then mass?
No I do not feel that mass has more value than spread. It is just that in appearance, the same mass at 20+", looks more impressive than at 15" or less. In fact if you think about it, for a narrow rack buck to make the P&Y, or B&C books, it has to have a little more mass to make up for the width! Two years ago, a co-worker of mine made the P&Y book with a 13" spread. It is an impressive buck, as are the ones photoed in this thread!
As for my buddy's buck, I'd bet if you took that 13" P&Y "book" buck, and place it next to an 18-20" buck that would not make the book, most people's eyes would catch the larger spread rack, at first glance!
As I said before, P&Y, and B&C have been around so long that most hunters know what you are talking about, not that BTR is a bad system! Say for example, if I told you that I shot a 150" buck, most would assume that it is B&C. Now if I told you I got a 130" buck, most people would not know that its the exact same buck (assuming perfect symetry!)
Old 03-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Il yes I can imagine that the buck might have a wider rack BUT then it would not have the character that is has ... I have to admit I love a wide rack to but I just don't think they are any more appealing then a thick high rack ... just my humble opinion ... I have havested both ...
Old 03-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I doesn't really matter what either one of us "likes or perfers" anyway??? Your questions is wether or not the deer should be given CREDIT for the spread and say I clearly YES! Even with an indentical amount of antler of two bucks heads the one that is wider should be rewarded as such.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:03 PM

I look at it this way. Buckmasters is a company. They are out to make a profit. Jackie Bushman basically created this scoring system to draw more attention to his company. I have no respect for JB whatsoever. Goes on too many canned hunts. Boone&Crockett and Pope&Young on the other hand are organizations. They aren't out to make a profit. Their scoring system has worked without problems for decades. Mass around points isn't given. Sure,some may consider than a bad thing. I really dont. Spread should be scored because it matters.

what i meant by having no sympathy for you is because you're whining like you think B&C is unfair to the scoring of your buck. just my take on what you said.

slayer

Quick Reply: Boone and Crockett OR BTR ..which is more fair?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.