Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? >

5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Old 03-08-2005, 11:41 AM

Default RE: 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

I hate crap like that. But, Public ground is public ground and you will have all types out there, Some good and some bad. If you don't have time enought for a climber I would suggest lock on stands and just carring out climbing sticks with you when you want to hunt. It's a pain and it's no guarentee but it's got to be better then having 5 stands stolen.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Illinois hunter

I have taken a lot of deer from this spot and if i dont leave a stand out it also an open invitation for anyone to take over. Im not wanting to give the spot up. There is a lot of disrespect out there. Its hard to believe you just have to deal with it or give up. Im to hard headed.

5 stands stolen? Yup, I'd say that you're hardheaded! Actually, there are several other adjectives that come to mind.
Actually, based on what you have posted, I'd say you are getting just what you deserve. Since I hunt WMAs exclusivley for 20+ years I reckon I 'll share my opinion on the matter with you. If you think hanging stands all over the public woods is going to "reserve the spot" for you, you are sadly mistaken. If I saw your stand the first time I'd probally give you a little room. If I kept seeing the same stands there all the time with your name on them, well it don't take this 'ol boy long to figure out what you're up to. I would take every dang one of your stands down and remove them from the woods.
Yup, thet's jes watt I'd dew!!!

Oh, by the way. I really appreciate you putting your name and address on them for me. It makes it alot easier for the Illinois DNR to track you down. You see sonny, you are in violation of game regs for the state of Illinois. Check out page 26 of the regs. It states one stand per hunter and that all stands must be removed at the end of the day.

Now back to adjectives to describe a feller like you. Hmmmm, lets see here. How's this sound? Lawbreaker, poacher, game hog,lazy, shiftless, hardhead(oops, we already used that one)
Old 03-08-2005, 12:09 PM

hey rem, ease up a bit man, He/she never said they put all five out at once. If 5 are stolen, maybe its one at a time.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

rem,

First of all that would make you a thief and no better than the person you are condemening. Second, I suspect you would do this whether leaving stands up was legal or not. Just because you hang multiple stands doesn't mean you are claiming spots. You still have the right to hunt there. That doesn't give you the right to start messing with peoples equipment. IMO that makes you lower than anything this guy did. Third, if you took my stands down for any reason and I found out about then you better be prepared to scrap everytime you walk in the woods because that's what we would be doing whether the DNR officers were present or not.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

If you put your game cam out then they will just steal that after they see the flash.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:13 PM

well said silent!
Old 03-08-2005, 12:19 PM
bigcountry

rem,

First of all that would make you a thief and no better than the person you are condemening. Second, I suspect you would do this whether leaving stands up was legal or not. Just because you hang multiple stands doesn't mean you are claiming spots. You still have the right to hunt there. That doesn't give you the right to start messing with peoples equipment. IMO that makes you lower than anything this guy did. Third, if you took my stands down for any reason and I found out about then you better be prepared to scrap everytime you walk in the woods because that's what we would be doing whether the DNR officers were present or not.
Why is 7400 a thief again? If the guy is breaking regs, then he can't complain very much. If I buy hot goods, I can't complain if the stuff gets stolen.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why is 7400 a thief again
That would be because he is taking something that doesn't belong to him.

If the guy is breaking regs, then he can't complain very much.
That would be "if" and I don't believe they have created a position that allows someone to be LE, judge, and jury. Ultimately, it's their decision to determine whether or not someone has broken the regs. Also, did the guy actually say these were stands left out in Illinois? Couldn't the stands have been stolen we he left for lunch? Is there any law against leaving stands up between morning and evening hunts? Either way he has no right to take something that doesn't belong to him. At the very least it's vandalism but IMO it's theft anyway you slice it.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:36 PM
bigcountry

Nevermind, I reread 7400's post. He did say he would take em.

Silent, Illinois said he left them in there. If the regs say they have to be removed end of the day, then can't argue with that can you? Far cry from judge and jury.

Guys, I just don't see it. I mean if I was dumb enough to leave my Harley Davidson FLHR in the hood of Baltimore overnight, then I deserve to get it stolen. I know better. No it doesn't make it right for them to steal it, but why do something that I know better to do?

Old 03-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

big,

He didn't say what state he was hunting. I think everyone assumes he was hunting Illinois but that may or may not be the case. Also, he never said he left them there overnight. He implied it with some of his other comments but never said that this was infact the case. I go by AR_bohunter on some other forums but I hunt MS, IL, MO, and AR most every year so someone assuming that I was referring to hunting in AR because my screename was AR_bohunter would have a 75% chance of being wrong. I am just pointing out that this may be the case here as well. It may not be the case but we don't have enough info to jump to conclusions.

Quick Reply: 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.