Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? >

5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Old 03-08-2005, 07:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Buy the best quality climber that you can afford and quit hanging bait in the trees >
The thieves who stole your stands are probably staking you out when you first hang it , or following your trail right to them . Stop wasting money on chain-ons .

Ditto! They are hunting the hunter.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:45 AM

With all the anti hunters in IL what makes you think it's hunters thats takeing your stands?

With all your stands (and any others that are found on public land I would think) missing from the area, where are all the stands going? Are they selling them? Do folks sell alot of stands at swap meets, flea markets, in local papers, etc? If so you might want to check them out. Are your stands being put up on different areas of public land?

I would think that anti hunters wouldn't want "your" stands to be used again. So I don't think they would be selling them. They might even be destroying them.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: moosehornhunter

Screw scaring them, I would hurt em. The only thing lower than a thief is, well, a shorter thief.
I wouldn't put up the sign and I'd hang that stand as high as I could get. Use one exactly like the ones they've already stolen and cut the bolts half way through. They can't tell it with out taking it apart.

A lot of times these are jerks who just don't like you hunting there as much as they are theives. I found one they just carried to the nearest pond and tossed it in. When I get one stolen I make it a point to start hunting that spot hard and heavy. Out of a climber where I can see the "decoy". They hunt too, and they will be looking at the "prize" to see if you are around before they steal it.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbuck90

I would take everyones advice and lock it very very well and setup a gamecam to watch your stands

Then they will just steal the game cam or shoot it off the tree if it's too high to reach.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Put a serial number on the a stand. register this number with the local police! Buy a GPS tracking device to hide somewhere on the stand! Weld a box on the stand with the device inside. Let that stand lead you to the others..... It's not the cheapest way but losing 5 stands isn't cheap either.... Let the police know where your stand with the serial number on it is also give them a description of the other missing stands and see what they find... I don't know how the GPS thing worksor cost but a builder I was talking to found a bunch of his stolen tools that way!
Old 03-08-2005, 10:54 AM
bigcountry

You know also, I got to ask. Are you basically put out stands to keep other people from hunting that area? If so, I bet those guys are trying to keep you out too.

I myself would never put a good stand in public property. And if I did, I sure wouldn't expect it be there when get back.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

In Wisconsin it illegal to leave a stand up overnight on public land. If it was legal I still wouldn't leave my stand up overnight. I use a hang on early in the season but mostly out of my climber in the later part. With my climber I'll be up in my tree, arrow nocked ready to go in less than 15 minutes.
Good luck!
Old 03-08-2005, 11:13 AM
bigcountry

I wonder why this guy don't use a hang on and carry in ladder sticks.l

Old 03-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Switch to a loggy. It's both a climber and lock on. I never leave anything in the woods if I would get upset if it was gone.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:40 AM

Of course, you could learn to hunt and not need that equipment.
It's called hunting, not ambushing the first dumb critter that walks by.

Quick Reply: 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.