Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who would do this...

Old 02-25-2005, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Who would do this...

Say that you have 3000 acres of prime hunting ground. It is all set-up for your likeing. You have a good deer herd with lots of older class mature bucks. You are the only one who hunts it (because you own it) but you let your family and closest friends hunt also. The area around your hunting area has a high pressure of hunters who are often looked at as slobs and lazy hunters who would "accidently" walk onto your land. Would you under these conditions, with an unlimited amount of money, put up a fence high enough to keep your deer in and the poachers out?
I believe that if I was in this situation I would put up a fence, only to keep the deer in and to keep others out. I would hunt them under fair chase conditions with the aids of crops (corn, wheat, alfalfa). How many of you would do the same? I feel that there is a limit to the fence and the amount of acres you own. I wouldn't want to see Bob with 100 acres put up a high fence instead of Joe who has 4000 acres and wants to keep the wildlife in and the poachers out. I personally disagree with the states that allow baiting, but I do not have a problem with planting biologic and other minerals for a healthier herd. I hate it when I see hunts in texas where the deer are coming into the feeder, or the road that has corn sprinkled on it. What do you all think of this?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who would do this...

I LOVE to deer hunt and it is a passion that I have had for 25yrs, however I think it can get out of hand ...if I had 3 or 4000 acres I would have a hard time jusifying the money it would cost to high fence the property just to keep the deer herd in so I could hunt them. I know a lot of you guys will not agree with me but I do not feel just because you own the land it means you own the deer. The deer are "free" roaming and I think by putting up a high fence you then restrict the movement of deer and other animals that in my humble opinion belong to everyone ... I do however beleive that NO ONE should traspass on your property to hunt for ANY reason!
Old 02-25-2005, 08:23 PM

I agree with doc,it would be alot easier to just patrol the land. I believe fencing the deer in would a little selfish and unfair to yourself and neighbors.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

only to keep the deer in and to keep others out.

where would these deer come from, when you fence it in the deer inside become yours?

I know a lot of you guys will not agree with me but I do not feel just because you own the land it means you own the deer. The deer are "free" roaming and I think by putting up a high fence you then restrict the movement of deer and other animals that in my humble opinion belong to everyone
to me these people that do this have stolen from the general public, i also don't believe anyone should "own" deer. i like to keep good deer in my area as well, but i try to do it in a manner that the deer will prefer, food, cover, and low hunting pressure, and since you would have plenty of money in this scenario hire a person to patrol the property
Old 02-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

3,000 acres is a lot of land, but if I had an unlimited amount of money I would try to get a 5 or 6 thousand acre tract and fence it. Most people have no conception of the actual size of a tract that large from a hunting perspective, assuming it is a forested area.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

I think that if I was in the scenerio you explained I would not need a high fence. I would obviously be wealthy enough to just spend all of my time on the ranch, so I would just make my rounds every day. If I thought something looked suspicious I would just put up some kind of motion sensor camera so that I could catch a trespasser/poacher red handed and turn him into the law.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I sure as heck wouldn't ruin my land by putting up any fence! JMO!
Old 02-26-2005, 04:03 AM

I have a 6000 acre plantation pine forrest that other than timber production, is used strictly for deer hunting, including food plots and herd management. This tract is surrounded by many, many other small to medium size tracts of urban, timber and farm land. Much of which is hunted by folks that are considerably less choosy about what they kill than ourselves and who also seem to have a very hard time locating our very well marked land lines. Now to your question, NO, I do not believe in fencing wild game. Once you do, it becomes less than wild and more domestic. Do as we do, mark your property boundries, heavely post your land and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law anyone found trespassing. Believe me, it doesn't too many prosecutions for word to get around. Oh, it also doesn't hurt to put a little effort $$ into the election campain of your local Sheriff and to feed your DNR boys every now and again. This has proven to be the best method for me over the past 28 years.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

The area around your hunting area has a high pressure of hunters who are often looked at as slobs and lazy hunters who would "accidently" walk onto your land.
I would just put up posted signs so they can see them.

And invite the county sheriffs to hunt it and help patroll the land.

Some time fences make the deer have diseases and
people will tear the fences down just because its there.

How ever you do it good luck
Old 02-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Spend some of that unlimited money on property managers that will patrol the property and post signs saying it is patroled and violaters will be prosecuted. No Fence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.