Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who would do this...

Old 02-28-2005, 08:26 AM

Default RE: Who would do this...

A few posted signs and a small two wire fence such as an electric or barbwire fence should be suficient. Aside from that, prosecuting anyone who is "careless" enough to wander on you land to te fullest extent of the law would be the best bet. Trust me, the word would get out.

There are good reason for people to enter your land imo. If a person were tracking a wounded animal I wouldn't stop them from following the trail but blaintant tresspassers would be shown the property line.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:41 AM

i lease around 600 acres in alabama, and i had the same problem with some florida hunters,well i caught them,and warned them, well next year, there they were again, we'll they weren't to smart,they left their two stands hanging on the tree.so i took the stands to the game warden and told him about it, he tried to catch them, but failed.i told the hunters where there stands were at and they could pick them up at the G.W. they never did pick them up,so now i have a tree lounge and an api.i keep a check on the trees for scares and climbing marks and also hunt about 100 yards from the property line, when their up for hunting,funning thing is their leased land is over 700 acres,but i guess hardwood creek bottoms are better to look at than planted pines, just remember no need for fences,if their tresspassers they can and will be caught,
Old 02-28-2005, 12:50 PM

The fence is a waste of money. The folks that you want to keep out will just cut through it. Overall I would say the herd would suffer for lack a decent gene pool. You may have lack of habitat and wintering problems too.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much would it cost to erect a 3000 acre fence that is tall enough to keep deer in?
Old 03-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: jrbsr

The area around your hunting area has a high pressure of hunters who are often looked at as slobs and lazy hunters who would "accidently" walk onto your land.
I would just put up posted signs so they can see them.

And invite the county sheriffs to hunt it and help patroll the land.

Some time fences make the deer have diseases and
people will tear the fences down just because its there.

How ever you do it good luck

jr....you beat me to it!!
Old 03-07-2005, 04:46 PM

I woudln't put up a fence just to have it vandalized by poachers, then you are putting more money in a bottomless pit. We have caught a few people poaching on our land by cameras, and with a picture for evidence,
filing charges is easy. As for baiting, it is illegal here and it can also lead
to more chances of diseases. Planting food plots or even just rye grass will keep your deer on your land without the use of fences. If you don't
have land for food plots, then planting trees that produce food sources for
deer will keep them in your area, even if you don't have much land.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:47 PM

Baiting is illegal here in tn so we dont bother with it.
I also dont believe in fenced in deer, no matter how big the land is.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:57 PM

Would I high fence the land? You bet I would, in a heart beat.....

I've high fenced land before and will probably do it again because of "problem neighbors". We patrol the ranches all the time. We have full time wildlife biologists that work on the ranch, along with the ranch foremans and the other ranch hands. Just because you have guys patrolling the land dosent mean its going to deter people from trespassing, but a high fence will.

Its clear to see that alot of you guys have misconceptions about high fences.

Some of you say that if you were wealthy you wouldnt put up a high fence because you would/could spend all your time on the ranch patrolling it. LOL, trust me, if you were a wealthy person the last thing you would want to do each day is drive around your land patrolling it from scum. At the very least you might hire somebody to do it for you. But honestly you should just pay the $5,000-$10,000 per mile to erect a high fence and be done with it.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:32 PM

No! That is to drastic of a change for natural selection, most people don’t really have a clue just how much this changes the natural cycles of nature, besides, what a better way to keep good mature deer on your property than low pressure hunting and proper food sources? Patrol your fences, make your presents known, and give the smart deer false scents of security in the core of your property. Also, don’t lower your standards because of your neighbors, keep up good management ethics because they will grow older and wiser and fit better into your plans!!!!
Old 03-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

I'd fence if well enough to keep cattle in.
Post it and start prosecuting trespassers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.