Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 looking for south dakota whitetails >

looking for south dakota whitetails

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

looking for south dakota whitetails

Old 02-15-2005, 04:55 PM

Default looking for south dakota whitetails

looking to bowhunt whitetails in south dakota , unguided public or federal land.
i have hunted good bucks in michigan , would like to try some unpressured bow hunting.
if any one has hunted or currently hunts any of the river bottoms there. would appreciate any feedback or advice.old taxidermist buddy talked about missouri river , i was guessing middle of the state for public land?
thanx in advance
Old 02-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: looking for south dakota whitetails

There are a lot of good whitetails in SD. All along the river which runs clear through the state you will find good hunting. There is a lot of Public land and its not hunted to heavy. Currently many trophy white tail are being taken in the North East or Glacier lake region. Contact the South Dakota Game Fish and Parks for info on Public land and walk in areas. They either should have the info or be able to tell you where to get it. I hunt the west River Area but where I hunt is mostly Mule deer. White tail however are scattered across the state. There are almost no Mule deer in the Eastern part of the state. The South Dakota department of tourism may also be able to help you. Where do you live? BTW welcome to the forum.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:07 AM

Default RE: looking for south dakota whitetails

thanks for the advice , i live & hunt michigan whitetails. would like to ambush a nice whitetail on his terms. in mich we have a lot of pressure , you could set up on an animal that youve been watching , trying to pattern so to speak , but with all the human contact the animals become nocturnal very easy or they get tired of human in their home , and wah-lah they pull the vanishing act. dont get me wrong there are some very nice bucks running around here , i have taken a few very nice bucks. some were simply being in the right spot right time.
thanx again for your info.