Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Nothing lasts forever!

Old 02-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Nothing lasts forever!

Nothing lasts forever, but I was at least hoping for a couple of more years!
The timber company that owns our hunting club is selling the land, and has decided that they don't want to lease out the land any more. We knew that the land was for sale, but their asking price seemed way too high. They have apparently found a buyer though. Their board of directors have informed us that even if this deal fails, they have others interested in the property, and will not be renewing our lease, regardless of the sale.
We have been hunting there for the last 4 years and have been able to limit out each season! Also, it was fairly close to home, had good access roads, a good camping area, plenty of game, and very good members that get along well together, and was cheap too (345.00 a year)! It is a 15 member club, of which myself and two other good friends are a part of. In the 4 years we have been there we have never had a single problem with anyone, and have never had anything stolen!
We will have to get our things off of the property by June. The only ray of hope that we have is if the new buyer is willing to lease the land to us!
Well, thats about it! I just had to share my misery with ya'll! In the mean time, I guess "it's on the road again!" Looking for a lease in East Tex!
Old 02-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Nothing lasts forever!

Sorry to hear that! I feel for ya! Good luck getting back in or finding a new spot!
Old 02-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sorry about the news as well.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

same here man.. had the land for for over 23 years!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have only been in it for 4 years but the rest have all been in 15 or more. now get this! our 500 acres borders 2500 acres of ga power land. 6 of our memebers all work for ga power. if you work for them you can hunt on the land. well we tried to get ga power to lease the land back to us and they said no! we asked them well how will you patrol it ? who will keep up the roads? who will maintain it? we told them we would keep up all the woek we have been doing and they still said no.. no reason was ever given..
Old 02-13-2005, 03:08 PM

my hunting party lost its hunting rights to out best hunting spot this year as well you are not alone.
Trying to find a new spot before next year.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like there will be plenty of misery to go around! I guess we can all look on the bright side, we are finding this out early enough to find new places before next season!
In my case, it will be hard to get something as good as we had, especially for the price we were paying! It will also be hard to find three openings at the same time!
I could have gotten on a pretty good lease a couple of years ago, but I didn't want to break up our hunting party! The camping and fellowship are as good, or better than the hunting was! Good luck to all of you other lease hunters!
Old 02-13-2005, 07:33 PM

that sucks
Old 02-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

sorry to hear that but luckily i don't have to worry about that because i am one of the very lucky hunters that have private land to hunt and very few other people are allowed to hunt on it so i can always go hunting
Old 02-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

That seems to be a common idea with the majority of the timber companies now. They can buy stumpage cheaper than they can raise it. Considering that a plantation usually takes close to 30 years to make a stand rotation and that a hurricane or fire can take it all out in a few hours it is a gamble. Land prices in our area area skyrocketing and land taxes are expensive for the companies also.
Just out of curiosity, was it IP land?
Old 02-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

TC, no it was Champion, or one of their off-shoots!
One of the big things going on over here is that companies, or people who can afford the big price tags are buying the land, getting what they can for the timber, and then they sub-divide the land and sell it again! We never thought that someone would come close to their asking price of 2 million! About the best they can do is get pulp wood price for the timber, and the rest is rolling bottom lands! Good deer habitat, but not too good of pasture land, or housing properties!
I think that IP has already sold most of their land in our area! Good hunting leases in East Tex have more than doubled in price in the last couple of years!

Quick Reply: Nothing lasts forever!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.