Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Not for weak stomach!

Old 02-17-2005, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Not for weak stomach!

I am not doubting that is an entrance wound. But it would be kind of hard not to see what happened inside when you dressed the deer.
Good question. Tho a couple of times I have a head scratcher. Last year I shot a 4 pointer from about 50 yds with my 30/30 using 150 GR. CORE-LOKT. I made a shoulder shot, and the little buck ran off. Normally within no more than 80 yds I would expect meat on the ground, but it was not to be. There was a moderate blood trail and I followed it for maybe 2 hundred yds more or less and I find it's stomach hanging from a bush. A little further on a trail of intestines. About 30 yds from the intestines I finally found my deer. This thing had ran an easy 250 Yds and had a gaping hole (soccer ball size)thru which its entrails had obviously passed thru. I was sick that I had gut shot this deer. But while dressing it out I saw that I had indeed hit the mark where I had intended, but that the bullet had somehow deflected and exited thru the same side.
That said . . .I believe what then happened is that somehow the deer snagged himself and ripped the wound open dumping out his insides, and is why there was such a tremendous exit wound.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:31 AM

Looks like road kill to me!!!......the guy even taped the freakin antler back on!!!!.....His tag is the tie wrap thing on the base of the antler.....I aint buying it!!!!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:13 AM

I guess my point is, if he field dressed the deer, he should have been able to see the path the bullet took.

I was so tramatised by that hole, I didn't even look for an exit hole
This statement does not make sense. It would be kind of hard to miss that when you are dressing out an animal. Thats why I asked the questions I did.

What did you see when you dressed it out? You did dress it, right? So, what did you see?
This is what I am still waiting on an answer for.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

No way that is a bullet hole, and if it is you should really think about getting a smaller weapon.. to me it is just a waste of meat
Old 02-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ouch
Old 02-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a similar wound this year. The deer was shot at a steep angle - and the bullet ran a forrow of hair from the top of the back - to where the shoulder blade Stuck out flipped open a patch about 6" round. When we shot the buck, some time had passed since the wound - and it seemed to have no ill effects other than a scabbed over and licked clean gaping 6" hole in its side.

Funny - the bullet that killed the deer exited where this "hole" was - and we though for a minute it was "his" exit wound, until we figured it out.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't say it isn't a bullet wound because it may well be, i've seen some pretty nasty damage done by bullets on deer and other animals. One thing for sure....thats a big hole and a dead deer!
Old 02-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure is a heck of a hole. The question I'd ask is if there was anything in front of deer when the shot was taken? Possibly is hit something near the deer, fragmented and then made the hole.

The hole sure isn't common, but could happen. I've seen weird things like that happen before. I once shot a bobcat with a 30.06 with no exit hole. A perfect broadside shot, and I studied inside and out for a hole, but nothing. And have the tanned hide to prove it. 99.9% of the time the bullet would've wizzed right through it.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:18 PM

Default lol

lmao tough one to swallow but its your story
Old 02-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

seen it also this past year, my uncle shot a deer with his 7mm rem mag and it made and exit wound just about the same as that one. He shot it from 40 yards and stapled the deer to the ground. there was meat and blood all over in a five foot circle behind the deer, he shot through the ribcage.

Quick Reply: Not for weak stomach!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.