Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anybody here from CA?

Old 02-11-2005, 09:28 AM

Default Anybody here from CA?

I've hunted ducks and pheasant all my life, and this coming season I'm going to start deer hunting (hopefully). I'm going to put in for X-3b, but if I don't get it, I'll probably hunt B zone. Been reading a few books on blacktails and have gotten some good advice from people. I was wondering....

What do you think a *good* deer rifle would be for me? I'm looking to spend under $700 for the rifle itself, and hopefully under 500 for the scope. Right now, I'm leaning towards a .270, propably rem 700. But a buddy of mine yesterday told me that I could develop a flinch if I go right into shooting a .270 (since I've never shot a rifle before, well, once I shot a .22). But, I'm used to shooting duck loads in my 12 ga. so I'm guessing the recoil from a .270 is similar?

Any suggestions for good guns? What about the wsm, or maybe a .25-06?
Old 02-11-2005, 09:19 PM

Default RE: Anybody here from CA?

I have hunted b zone for years now and no luck, but that is alright, it is a good zone to hunt for blacktails. My good friend hunts with a 270 and has killed many deer with it, it has good range and is good for mulies also. I shoot a 30-06 similar in size. I dad won a 25-06 at rocky mountain elk dinner and shot a mulie with it last year, if i could afford one i would buy one also. it is a flat shooting gun with plenty of power to knock stuff down at good distances. good luck in what ever you chose!!
Old 02-11-2005, 09:41 PM

I've been from CA for nearly 10 years now and don't remember the numbers of the varous zones any more. We mainly hunted the west slope above Bridgeport, around an FS campground called Buckeye Creek. You passed Twin Lakes on the way in.

A .260 would make a fine beginners rifle if you fear the .270. Later on you'll probably discover you don't need something bigger.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

One more question: How would you rate the recoil of, say, a .270 with a 12 ga (not a skeet load).

I'm not afraid at all of recoil. I just don't want to develope a flinch or anything. Kinda reminds me of the "yips" in golf, if any of you have ever heard of them. Disastrous for your game and need a psychyatrist to cure it. So I don't want that stuff happening to me when i'm trying to learn to be accurate with a rifle!!

Thanks again Phil R.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:57 PM

HELLO B ZONEBOY, I AM FROM FRESNO,CA. I HAVE A BROWNING A BOLT STAINLESS STALKER IN A 270 TOPPED WITH A BUSHNELL 3200 3X9X40MM SCOPE. I KILLED TWO WHITETAIL DEER WITH IT THIS YEAR DOWN IN ALABAMA. AWESOME CALIBER.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Bzoneboy

Thanks for the advice guys.

One more question: How would you rate the recoil of, say, a .270 with a 12 ga (not a skeet load).

I'm not afraid at all of recoil. I just don't want to develope a flinch or anything. Kinda reminds me of the "yips" in golf, if any of you have ever heard of them. Disastrous for your game and need a psychyatrist to cure it. So I don't want that stuff happening to me when i'm trying to learn to be accurate with a rifle!!

Thanks again Phil R.
The old highbrass 12 gauge 1 1/4 oz duck load developed recoil similar to a .375 H&H. But standin' up shootin a shotgun at a movin target ain't quite the same as shootin a rifle from a solid position.

Developing a flinch is a valid fear,and some folks will do so with a .270 before they get some experience. As far as the yips I've never played cow pasture pool, I wouldn't know.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:48 PM

slamfire, x12, great hunting area for mulies, i grew up south of bridgeport in lee vining, that is all great hunting areas is far as i am concerned, i wish i could draw a bow tag for that area. bzone boy i hope you have luck with your choice of guns to buy. i think that the 270 will have a little more than a 12 gauge.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Get a Limb Saver recoil pad and put it on the .270 and you won't have any problem with the recoil. Great caliber, along with many more of them.