Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What's the closest you've been? >

What's the closest you've been?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's the closest you've been?

Old 02-07-2005, 01:29 PM

Default RE: What's the closest you've been?

that is pretty darn close mr. 45-70
Old 02-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was turkey hunting and had a black bear cub come in close enough to touch. Mama bear was also really close, I'd guess within 10 yards. I was dug in at the base of a large wild cherry tree in a wet bottom, and never saw them approaching from behind. At that point, they were too close to make any sudden moves.

Mr. Cub picked me out at about one foot away and the situation quickly deteriorated. Quite a memory, to say the least.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:15 PM

I've had them just a couple feet under me when in my climbing stand. On the ground I've had does within 4 or 5 feet.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:11 PM

Totin' water to the barn in near white out conditions, I actually bumped into an antlered buck. We had a forky rule at the time and although we were standin' chest to chest I couldn't tell if he was legal. He jumped at the touch but didn't dare run, so he kinda eased away into the snow. I really don't like gettin' close enough for them to touch me, that can get dangerous real quick. [X(]
Old 02-07-2005, 07:49 PM

I had a small doe drop some presents less than 3 feet from my ground blind last fall. Not excatly what I wanted to see but close incounter none the less.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

like a few others i have been sitting on the ground with my legs streched out and had deer go over them.

She turned a flip and I landed on top of her while she is on her back. Anyone that thinks that a 100 lb. female can't whoop a man's a$$ has never rolled around in pinestraw with a doe.

That had to be the 2nd stupidist thing I have ever done in my life, but that's another story
i've dug a few deer out of fences, and lets just say it can get very wild
very quick[:-]

Well whats the stupidest? You can't leave us hanging now. Care to share?
we got to know
Old 02-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a doe jump my legs while I was sitting on the ground against the tree. I shot a 8 point buck at 3 steps with OO buck and he ran 100 yards before he died. That is as close to a buck as I have ever got.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: johnch

While tree rat hunting I have touched 2 in 20+ years .
While hunting from a pit blind last year I shot a doe at 4'

Reminds me of a time when my oldest brother and I were heading out to do some squirrel hunting and I saw a nice gray squirrel chase another into a hole in the side of a tree. Well the bully had his leg sticking out so I snuck over and grabbed its foot!

My brother and I laughed as that squirrel tried to hold onto that tree as I pulled him out....of course then my much older brother (think I was like 12-13) wasn't laughing at the squirrel...he was wondering what I was going to do with it once I pulled it out of the tree! LOL

One bare hand vs one pissed off gray squirrel! Guess who was going to win that battle! hehe I laughed and just let the squirrel climb back into that hole. (saved my fingers that way!)
Old 02-07-2005, 10:11 PM

Thanks to all for sharing your encounters. I got quite a chuckle when reading a few of them I guess these are memories that we will never forget.

All these stories kind of go against the grain about how keen a deer's nose is doesn't it. I've had deer come in real close from down wind of me and never scent me, and yet other times smell me a mile away while being up wind. Go figure.

Mr. .45-70
Old 02-08-2005, 10:42 AM

I had a little buck that used the front of my stand as a rub for 2 years running. Got to watch him as a 4 point, then as a 6 the next year. He rubbed on my stand while I was in it several times, I could have reached out the window and touched him with no trouble. After watching him so much so close I honestly don't know if I would have,or could have, shot him. But he saved me the trouble of deciding and disappeared after his 6 point year.

Quick Reply: What's the closest you've been?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.