Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mesquitoes

Old 09-07-2002, 02:19 PM
Spike

Default Mesquitoes

I have never wore spray before, but because of the West Nile I probably will wear something this year. I was just wondering if there is anything I could wear that will not hinder my deer hunting this year.
Old 09-07-2002, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mesquitoes

You could try one of those camo bug suits. My buddy has one in non-camo that he wears while camping. It works very well. I'm usually covered up when hunting. I've got gloves and enough clothes so they can't get through. I've used 100% deet around my face and ears when the mosquitoes are bad. It doesn't seem to bother the deer. But, I'm usually downwind of the trail anyway.
Old 09-07-2002, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

What Wingbone said will work make sure on the
deet is part of your repellent,good luck take care!!
Old 09-07-2002, 08:04 PM

I have been out several times scouting and the skeeters haven't been bad at all. I was shocked! I thought they would be terrible.
I would recommend the BUGTAMER JACKET though. One of the smartest things I ever done was buy one those. I bought some acorn scented bug repellent that is 100% deet but haven't even used it yet.

http://www.cartogra.com/rs/35D6BABE-...77A760E/screen
Old 09-07-2002, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I think the whole West Nile thing was overplayed in the media and scared some folks. Those most suseptable to it are those with weakened immune systems such as the elderly. However, better safe than sorry. Spray on the DEET and hunt high. I don't think deer instantly associate the smell of bug spray with humans anyway.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have often asked myself the question..Which is better, use no bug repellent and swat (move) like crazy, or use the repellent and let every deer know where I am?..I have come to the conclusion that movement is much worse than the smell of insect spray. Deer may not associate the smell of bug spray with humans, but it is a foreign odor, which I try to avoid at all possible times. I think I have a better chance hunting 25 feet off the ground with bug (earth) spray on me, than sitting there swatting and cursing every mosquito and bug that's near me. Then again, maybe the deer will look up, see me acting like a nitwit and say..."That can't be a human"!

Old 09-10-2002, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

I will go with the spray, better safe than sorry. Most places have it in ourdoor scents, Wally World, etc. Unless you have or are willing to afford a bug suit.

The best of luck in all your hunting endeavors!!!

God Bless,
Dave
Old 09-10-2002, 12:46 PM

Wal-Mart and Academy cay some stuff called "Pharimone(sp)" you spray it on your cloths and let it dry. Will hold up for about 3 washings and WORKS!Same stuff thats in the bug suits.

Hurry up and wait.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:44 PM

I've heard good things about the pharamone spray. I'm thinking of giving it a try.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

im agree with porkchop, i got me a bugtammer jacket and it works great, had it for a few years now, you can wear short sleeves under it and be cool,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.