Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Feedback on Browning A Bolt 300 WSM >

Feedback on Browning A Bolt 300 WSM

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Feedback on Browning A Bolt 300 WSM

Old 02-06-2005, 10:24 AM

Default RE: Feedback on Browning A Bolt 300 WSM

abolts are pretty pricy though. you can get a good gun for a fraction of that price
Old 02-07-2005, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

I had an A-Bolt SS 300WSM in my hands at the gun shop. It was a toss up between the 300WSM or the 270WSM. I thought about it ALOT for a few days and ended up with a buying a .30-06
Old 03-01-2005, 08:46 PM

I have not shot the 300wsm. However i have shot a 270wsm in a bansner custom rifle. Velocity and knockdown power is good. Minimum recoil, although that may be the muzzle break but over all a very good catridge. I'm sure the 300wsm would get same results from other people though.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:12 PM

Alot of the guys who say, "But the 7-08 is plenty for deer" are used to hunting 150# animals. If you are in many parts of Canada (and places like Kansas, the Dakotas, Minnesota etc) you can be talking about animals that are more than TWICE that size!!! I hunted with a friend on his lease outside of Manhattan, KS and he killed a monster that had a 31" neck (I am talking measured just behind the head by a taxidermist) and was estimated by the game wardens at the office in Manhattan to have weighed 405 peak live summer weight. He shot the animal at 350 yards with a 7Rem Mag and took out the lower lungs and upper heart, PERFECT shot. But the big SOB still managed to run nearly 1/2 a mile down a big hill and almost into the Tuttle Creek Resevoir.

These are BIG animals that have much more muscle and stamina than your typical eastern strain of whitetails. Sure the 7-08 will smack em at close range or if you carefully pick your shots at longer ranges. But lets be real, BIG deer dont stand around posing for pictures and letting you get settled and "pick your shot". Sometimes you gotta "go deep" and take what you are given. That being said I feel the 300WSM is THE greatest big game cartridge to come down the pike in a LOOONG time. I am thoroughly impressed with this hot lil number (have been in on hunts of several types of game where they were used) and I like the smaller, lighter rifles even that much more.

I have a penchant for the Kimber's and Sako's in the WSMs. But for the money the A-Bolt is one fine piece. Another gun for the value is the Weatherby Vanguard in the WSM. And dont forget that Remington now offers the "SPS 700" in WSM and it features a synthetic stock, detachable box magazine and sells in the $400-$450 range. But finding them this year will be tough for awhile.

DO IT,
RA

ps
Bullet wise, for commercial ammo I would pick the 180 Triple Shock Federal Premium Vital Shok. Another TOP bullet that I know of personally is the Federal and Winchester offerings with the 180 Accubond. If you handload you might wanna stoke up some 150Triple Shocks (or even order the 150 Lazerheards from Lazzeroni, they ROCK and will allow you to maximize the velocity out of that lil WSM). I can vouch for these bullets personally as I have been shooting them for 2 seasons at over 3700fps in my Warbird and they are un-failable.