Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is Poaching Okay???

Old 02-02-2005, 06:22 PM

Default RE: Is Poaching Okay???

This topic gets posted 3-4 times a year and we hit the same arguements over and over. [:@]

There's a big difference between "starving" and not having enough money for food. Where are you going to get your bread, milk, fruit, etc.? Unless you're lucky enough to live in an area with very ready access to game, pound for pound deer meat will be more expensive than store-bought food. If you're really poor is it OK to steal the rest?

Some have suggested that you could sell your gun, but I don't think you should have to sell off everything you own in order to be thought of as being deserving of assistance. But how many people who might claim to so poor as to need to poach will also have found money for cigarettes, alcohol, and other "necessities"? Just like you see the folks who complain that they can't make ends meet but have $90 a month cable TV bills, $50 a month internet connections, cell phones, etc. If you really did fall into the "dirt poor" category I wouldn't vote to convict you, but you'd have to work hard to prove that you had very few other options.

The early "settler" mentality of going out and taking what you need played a big part in game being over-hunted and took many years of management for their recovery.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

DEER AND ELK as much as store meat. NO way you must send yours to a packer. pore people learn to cut up there own.The deal is that having MEAT [the most costly part of food] will help not fix every thing.

If you want to say gass cost more than the meat you get ,MOST pochers get the deer right out there back door.

I allso think most of the people tottaly aginst killing for meat are in big citys and have to go miles to kill anything so they beleave it cost EVERY one a ton of money for meat.

It is way worse cuting down the deer spots than killing some to eat.

I allso think most people that would never shoot a deer to eat hunt for sport not for the meat.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

kshunter,
if the family is having trouble i would poach everything i could eat as long as it wasnt wasted.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

As for me, I am talking about shooting wild game when you are out of other options. If I considered myself in that position, I would have already lost my cable and my phone and about everything else. I have sold some guns from time to time when things were tight. This was many years ago and I can't see anything short of a complete financial breakdown in this country that could put me back there again. If those times ever came though I have a little farm where I can grow food and hunt wild game. Live off the land as most of our forefathers did. I still know how and have the place to do it. Of course in the Dakota's you can only raise food for a short season.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

I think I'd take a deer if I felt the need. I see alot of guys calling it stealing. Who's it stealing from? They'll say the state but arent the people the state or does the Governer own them? Last I knew God gave them to us to feed & clothe ourselves. We'v come to need laws to keep from killing them off altogether thats true but it doesn't mean its stealing. They belong to us.
That said I think if one was broke & down on their luck & theyre family was going hungry theres probably more constructive things you could do than hunt. A deer wont pay the bills but I think if I came home after trying to find a job or working at a job that wont pay the bills & there was a big furry piece of meat in the yard, God would forgive me for being hungry. If I got caught & lost my hunting license that would suck but I'd likely do it again if the oportunity arose. I live by mans laws as a part of society but pushed to extremes the laws that matter are the ones God gave us.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 1dahunter

Obviously some on here think there is no hungry and starving people in the us. Take a road trip to the appalachain (spelling) mountains in Virginia you will see youg and old familys living in busses, shacks and trailers with no electricity, running water and the only heat is wood. There is no work or welfare for these people they dont have cars or anything else cause they sold everything trying to feed their familys. Yes they are eating possoms, rats, skunks anything they can get to feed their familys and yes they poach a deer when they can and to me thats not poaching thats feeding your family! Some of us get so caught up in our comfy little world that we refuse to think or see whats going on in America. Flipping burgers yep that will take care of a starving America these people live more than 100 miles from any burger place, they are way back in the mountains and forgotten by people like some on this board who refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem. I have seen this first hand and The show 20-20 did a piece on this several years ago and yes they are still there. Jimmy
Legal disclaimer, I could argue any side of this arguement with equal personal conviction and have actually done a few flip flops in my own opinion on it. With that statement in consideration....

I have a problem with the above describe people. I think the severity is a little exagerated but just the same, the only thing between most of these people and a job is a willingness to move to the job. If they like where the live enough to starve for it, I don't see why I should have my income confiscated to support their personal decisions.

I lived in a small town. I wanted more. I moved where the income I wanted was available.

If they don't like living on possum, they can do the same.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Poaching is Poaching.

But have you ever went to the Social Services.
Be there at 8 am and stay untile they close just to have them tell
You that thay can not and will not help.

You go to the employment office just to find out there is no jobs.

And the places that used to have jobs are now in Mexico and China.

Poaching is Poaching
Old 02-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know whats funny? To those folks who say "flip burgers" or "get gov't hand outs" before illegally killing a god given creature to feed your family , I'd bet ya'll would come up with a different name for "poachers" if hunting in general was banned!
Old 02-03-2005, 02:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a citizen of Appalachia who has worked in the coal industry since high school and has NEVER had any trouble finding work throughout that time I wish just once someone could have a poverty discussion without throwin us into it! Take the 20/20 shows and stick em....come on out...I'll have ya 3 jobs by the weekend...with that being said..theres always a job out there for someone who wants to work bad enough!! It may not be doing what you wanna do...or it may not even be a job anyone wants...BTW I drive 127 miles round trip per day usually 6 days a weekand have been since 2000...so dont get me started. As for the poaching...I dont have a dog in that fight...I dont but not saying I wouldnt. We have a our fair share of poor folks....but no more than anyone else..and a big chunk of the ones we have I think the proper description for would be shiftless??
Old 02-03-2005, 04:13 AM

all i am saying is i would use and eat a creatures that god gave us way before i would go steel or rob some one for food.

for those who say it cost more to hunt for meat than buy it at the store. i dont know where you live and how much bullets of arrows cost there but if i had to poach to feed my family i would not be tacking it to a butcher. and i would shoot it out of my yard. so all it would cost me is the bullet. lets see $1.00 for 80lbs or so of meat. how much does it cost for that much meat a the store you shop at? because if you can buy it cheaper than that i will make the drive. lol

and yes i am raising a family of five and i work 2 jobs a day job and a night job and dont have much time to sleep or do any thing fun very often but my family has food to eat. i have always worked hard had a job since i was 14 and worked two part time jobs when i was 16 and went to school so we could make the bills. so yes i know what it is like to work hard and raise a family of five. and i also know what it is like to be the child of a widowed mother and poor. and yes i shot a deer out of season back then and it was the first time we had eaten steak in two years. so what!

and yes if i was that poor now i wouldnt be on this computer talking to you all about it. i would have already sold it.

every one here gets upset to easy lightin up a little.

Quick Reply: Is Poaching Okay???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.