Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

you will not believe this

Old 01-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: you will not believe this

Happened to a guy that was hunting near me a couple years ago. Shot at an 8 pt and hit the doe behind it as well. I help him track the doe, which we found about 150 yds away. If I knew the doe was there I wouldn't take the shot and risk wounding the doe.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

that's definitely possible.

Two years ago, I shot a buck in Preston County, WV and also hit a doe behind it with a .300 Weatherby Mag. I didn't realize until I was dragging him out and ran across a second blood trail.

I was suspicious, so I backtracked and found that the trail began right where I fired. There was some hair in the snow as well.

I tracked her for about an hour, and she never stopped. If I had to guess, I think I lodged it in her left rear quarter. I hit a lot of bony mass in the buck, so it probably lost most of its Kinetic Energy before impact.

It would've been worse had I not hit the buck's shoulderblades.

The doe was standing about 8-10 ft. behind - I didn't even see her, b/c I was focused on hitting the buck.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Happened not that long ago in my area - a hunter shot right through the deer - and hit a hunting partner behind the deer - I cannot recall for sure - but I think he lived.

Still - it reminds us to be sure whats behind the deer.

FH
Old 01-28-2005, 09:09 AM

i belive it
Old 01-28-2005, 10:50 AM

I have done it on purpose when I hunt Feral pigs, but I would not take a shot at a Deer if another is in the line of fire.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot 2 quail with one shot once.....does that count?
Old 01-28-2005, 12:20 PM

I tracked her for about an hour, and she never stopped. If I had to guess, I think I lodged it in her left rear quarter. I hit a lot of bony mass in the buck, so it probably lost most of its Kinetic Energy before impact.

It would've been worse had I not hit the buck's shoulderblades.

The doe was standing about 8-10 ft. behind - I didn't even see her, b/c I was focused on hitting the buck.
Quicksilver, great story, something to be proud of. So you looked for the doe for a whole hour, you must have been exhausted. I'm confused though, you said it would have been worse, can you explain how leaving a wounded deer in the woods (that you didn't mean to hit in the first place) could have been worse?

I usually don't play the "high and mighty" card but you telling that story just drives me nuts.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:27 PM

I belileve it it happened to a friend of mine when I was out hunting with him. He did it with a 12 guage shot gun. He was shooting at a 6 point buck and that was with three other does. The bullet went right through the buck and then on of the does. He was up hill from them and they were slightly down hill maybe 50-60 yard and had just started tracking away from him. The funny thing was I was hunting not far away and I heard a single shot. I waited about 25 minutes and walked over two where he was expecting to see a dead deer. To my suprise there were two dead deer lying about 10 feet apart.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

my dad did this in nov he shot both with one shot
Old 01-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe it. My dad just last month in texas took two does with one shot, dropped 'em in their tracks too. A good .270 will never fail in capable hands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.