Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

found a dead six pointer

Old 01-19-2005, 04:16 PM

Default RE: found a dead six pointer

people are gonna lose deer, and its unfortunate, but it feeds alot of critters. I found an 8 point carcass last year that had been eaten and about a foot of snow fell on it so they didn't carry it off. i have the skull out in the garage..i also found an 8 point with the same genetic of the rack that had a registration tag(metal) still on it, one side eaten off by the mice. musta threw the carcass out rack and all. i think its kinda cool to have.

slayer
Old 01-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even the best shots can make a poor shot. It isn't what you want and I'm not saying it is no big deal, just that it will happen to most hunters at some point or another.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Even the best shots can make a poor shot
yeah i know what you mean, but finding a dead one kinda makes you stop and think. I know that even if you make a good shot, there are other factors that are out of your hands (deer moves, small branch you didn't see, ect...). Even if you do everything by the book, something could still happen.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:07 PM

a couple of years ago I found a really nice 9pt dead on one of my hunting trails during the regular gun season. he was shot in the neck, shoulder, and he had an arrow in his hind leg. I figured he was shot on the first day. the coyotes had gotten their dinner already. I cut the antlers off and guessed his score was about 140. still havn't measured inside spread.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:18 PM

I found a dead 6 point today on the trails to my tree in tuskeegee today
i hate to see it happen. I didn't see any entry or exit wounds on him though
so maybe he was just the victim of a coyote attack I dont know but I sure
would have liked to killed him myself
Old 01-21-2005, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

i did some playing around last night with a boone and crokett score sheet and the set of antlers i cut off of that buck. I already had them cut off the skull so the score i came up with is probably not accurate. I came up with a 92 1/8. I had to do some magic numbers since the g-3 was broken off one and the g-2 was broken off the other. I know it don't even score because of the broken points. the g-3 was 8 3/4 and the g-2 was 7 1/2. Not too bad. The g-1's were really small. one was 1 1/2 and the other was 2. I had to kinda guess the spread. Like I said, just a wild guess based on what i had to work with. Other than the g-1's, both sides are identical.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:27 AM

If you couldn´t tell if it was shot or not, why blame it on hunters ? I have found 3 nice bucks (one with 22inch inside spread), none of them had been shot ! Sometimes these guys just don´t make it after the rut.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

i'm not trying to blame it on hunters.....i'm just saying that it made me check myself. If I made it sound like i was trying to say that it was a bad shot, i didn't mean to.