Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Meat Help??

Old 01-11-2005, 10:16 AM

Default RE: Deer Meat Help??

Actually I hunt almost exclusively in Nebraska and the midwest so the salt thing comes about from getting the blood out of the meat for me-also agree with the points being made about 'getting it cooled down fast' that is very important. Usually we agree that the first one to get a deer can take it immediately to the cooler and then come back and hunt. Makes good sense to do that. I believe the butcher paper can be bought at the grocery store but it is better to buy a big role and keep it handy for all your game so I generally go to a butcher and have him order for me on the role.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here a 1000 ft roll of Freezer King Brown Butcher Wrap can be found at almost any Grocery Store.

I fridge aged a deer roast for 10 days it was melt in your mouth, and really if you hang your meat at a comercial locker or butcher that in essence is what your doing except nothing to protect the meat fibres from the cool air. In short you are fine in a controlled enviroment such as a fridge to leave the meat for a week plus.

I agree wrap in Saran then brown butcher wrap before heading to the deep freezer.

The removal of hair, fat and silver skin are key but it certainily doesn't hurt to reduce the amount of blood in the meat in some way. The salt water isn't as popular as soy up here but in essence it is the exact same thing. I actually like milk as a merinade to draw out blood, it produces great results without any worry about salty or flavouring the meat(like the use of lemon, etc). Don't forget to cook the deer no more than med, it needs to be a bit pink to retain some juice! If you like well done meat than merinade or use bacon to allow for some juice to be still in the meat.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Last deer season a lady in the food/recipe forum recommended soaking in butter milk over night. My wife, a city girl liked it better that.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like others have said, cool it down, remove all fat and blue skin, wrap in plastic wrap squeezing out the air, finally wrap in Alcoa freezer wrap, shiney side in. Freezer wrap can be purchased at the supermarket. Thaw wrapped in the fridge, on a plate as any blood will be released at that time. Frozen this way it will last through Bar-B-Que season. Enjoy Ps. No soaking needed,
Old 01-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Grocery stores should have wrapping paper for meat. I put iy in zip lock freezer bags and squess the air out good and freeze it in those. Mine does not last long enough to get old
Old 01-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

I age mine in the fridge, at 34 deg. for up to two weeks. One week is all that is needed to improve flavor but you've got at ltast two before you've got to get to it...
Old 01-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well all this advice is great!!! But, and however......................you can do all this stuff and it wont help out one bit, if you didnt take care of your game in the field, and how you feild dressed it. Get this done first and then this other advice will come in handy Learn how to properly feild dress the deer without busting the urine and the fesces all over the deer. I like to age my deer and soak some meat in milk, others i just marinade with brown sugar and soy sauce. I remove all silver skin and most fat before marinade of course. When i cook steaks, i like to sear them on really hot heat in the pan or grill, then turn it to med and let it cook for about 8 minutes each side, leaving a perfectly pink color in the middle. just like a virgin on prom night!!!
Old 01-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Just a question, MT Bob, where did you learn that trick?

As I butcher, each piece of meat I cut off the bone gets soaked in a water:vinegar solution, about 2 parts water to 1 part vinegar. The vinegar will kill bacteria. I leave the pieces in for a minute or two.

I'm from Hamilton by the way.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dirt, I know this question wasn't for me but I also use the vinegar/water technique for wiping down the carcass. It does an excellent job at removing the pesky little hairs from the skinning/gutting process, removes blood/debris and as you mention will kill bacteria as the use of water on the carcass is not consider a good practice for it can introduce bacteria when hanging. I as well butcher all my own game, as well as several other each year and this tech. has proved to be worth the effort when it comes time to cut n' wrap and eat.

When I have to pack an animal meaning no time to hang for the short 24 hours required to fully relax the meat, I will employ tatics such as milk or acid based merinades to draw out the excess blood from the cuts of meat. This has proved virtually no difference in table fare IME to the hanged animals, just a little more planning and elbow grease if you will when preparing the meal.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:52 PM

Another question,my biggest doe I went ahead and took to the processor.Since I did'nt cut up the meat myself I was'nt able to soak it or anything before sticking it in the freezer.Should I soak it in milk/saltwater after thawed out before cooking or is it too late for this?I'm sure that it will still be good just using marinade but I was just wondering if it was important to soak before or after freeezing?
Thanks,
JE

Quick Reply: Deer Meat Help??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.