Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scared of the dark?

Old 08-30-2002, 07:04 AM

Default Scared of the dark?

Anyone scared walking in in the morning or out at night? I tend to be a bit jumpy in the woods after dark, I'm a bit of a sissy after dark.

"Playing under the table and dreaming"
Old 08-30-2002, 07:13 AM

Default RE: Scared of the dark?

Africa at twilight ...things got a bit more interesting. I carried a sheath knife on my right hip EVERYDAY when I was hunting over there.
I got uncomfortable on the top of a mountain in Colorado one evening walking out in the dark knowing a cougar had been seen in the area 3 days before.

Other than those.....in Ohio, not one bit scared.

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 08-30-2002, 07:39 AM

WALKING TO THE STAND ONE A.M., TURNED A CORNER AND FLUSHED A COVY OF QUAILL.MAN DID THAT GET MY BLOOD A PUMPING!

Hurry up and wait.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:54 AM
Spike

I bow hunt the Water Moccasin capital of Texas. An agressive strain that waits too long to get out of the way, I have numerouse times seen them laying on the ground in front of me with their mouths open which are white on the inside and luckily reflect light. Scared, no concerned yes.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, a couple of close encounters with a screaming racoon and some face-to-face time with a buck in the early morning "zero-dark-thirty" hours has turned me a bit paranoid. In the dark, I get to my stand as quickly and quietly as possible.

<font color=orange>Go #20!</font id=orange>
Old 08-30-2002, 09:32 AM

It all depends on where I'm hunting. If I know the area well I generally have no problems but when in a new area I get a little uneasy at times. Especially in the high country states like Colorado where things can eat you!

The thing to remember is that nothing is there in the night that isn't there during the day!
Old 08-30-2002, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Being crazy helps a lot, being crazy means you have no fear. I will be honest though, I have jumped deer and ruffed grouse before and almost dumped my drawers, but I do not worry about &quot;Whats out there&quot;.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 08-30-2002, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the most part no, but I have been shaken a few times. THe most notable was way back when I was in high school and saw a bear for the first time. He walked directly under my stand and then strolled away. I got down very early that evening and left in a hurry.

Some things are true whether you believe them or not.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

no,,not affraid of the dark.only affraid some jerk will shot me in the dark.

Old 08-30-2002, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've gotten startled a few times by noises, but the main time I get uneasy is when there is a strong gusty breeze. I don't know if it's just because that's how the weather always is in horror flicks or what. I think it has more to do with not being able to hear well over the wind noise.
I've never gotten worried about boogie men or monsters, just real stuff that can get too close without you being able to detect them.

There was one time, when it was gusty, I was just finishing my hike to my ground blind ( a deadfall ) and I got this erie feeling that I wasn't alone or that something wasn't quite right. The hair stood up on the back of my neck and I got the chills. So I hunkered down with my back to the tree and pulled out my knife, just in case. I never saw anything, but it was a long wait until sunrise.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.

Quick Reply: Scared of the dark?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.