Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scared of the dark?

Old 08-30-2002, 11:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-30-2002, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scared of the dark?

No, not of the dark. Of course I've never hunted out west....that may be a different story...I think I'd definitley be a little more uneasy out there

Bruce...what were you doing walking to your stand at 1 a.m.? Man that stand must be WAY back in there...LOL

Old 08-30-2002, 12:34 PM

1 mourning.................about 4:00 am

Hurry up and wait.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:36 PM

Flushing grouse unexpectedly always gives me a near-heart attack......in the dark its even worse.

For those that are timid in the dark...I have seen ads recently for an LED pen light that attaches to your hat. I haven't tried one, but it would be a nice gadget to have when in unfamiliar territory.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

Not so much in the walk out after the afternoon hunt, but going into the woods in the A.M. freaks me out....

Since we're all tellin the truth here, I often talk my hunting partners into walking to my stand with me, and handing me my gear once I'm up (I tell them my stand is on the way to theirs....lol)

But not knowing whats out there can be freaky...NY we only got bears, and coyotes, maybe some wild dogs. I think running into some drifter might be worse.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:10 PM

dark doesn't bother me,but it sure does my brother of course i try not to bother him,sometimes i just like to see how high he can jump,boy i do a get a cussin but it sure worth it.he says when get within 50 yards of the truck he knows i am out there and it scares the crap out of him.35 years old and he can still jump like a 10 year old.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just the other hunters while it is dark.The woods are so jammed with hunters up here ,the flashlights look like the starlite sky. I remember many a morning waveing off guys in the dark that try and sit under my tree. and you always here gun fire before light.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

I have to admit, there are times when I get that "jumpy feeling" walking in to the stand in the AM. I never get it at night walking out, but i do get it in the mornings. I always think of the stories I've heard of some of the people that live/hangout in the area I hunt.
One of the properties I hunt is well secluded and has several old, rundown buildings on it. I have seen people hanging out in and around these buildings before and that makes me nervous when I walk in in the mornings. You never know who the people are that are hanging out in these buildings and why they are there. My cousin ran into one of these people hunting on this property. It turns out this guy was a homeless guy from NY that was living in one of the rundown sheds. My cousin said the guy talked to him for a few minutes, then turned real angry, then told him to "leave his kingdom". The land is owned by a Church as a retreat and they are not bothered by this because noone uses this part of the property other than hunters.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

nah not sceered. whats there to be scared of, i figure there more afraid of me.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:57 PM
usa
Fork Horn

jeffmiller, being afraid of the dark is a primal thing , nothing to be ashamed of or apologize for. It affects everyone differently depending on upbring and lifes situation's, I'm 61 yrs old ,had a fearsome reputation as a young man, hunt alone mostly and I'm usually in the wood's before light and out way after dark, and guess what I'm afraid of the dark, remember, courage isn't the absence of fear, it's overcoming it .good hunting usahunter

2-Gun

Quick Reply: Scared of the dark?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.