Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks >

Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks

Old 01-14-2005, 07:04 PM

Default RE: Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks

ORIGINAL: DearSlayer357

I have always shot for lungs and heart on deer. I have seen on t.v. people dropping deer in their tracks. So where is the best place to shoot for this, spine? neck? somewhere esle? Could you tell me where to aim and maybe show a picture of where to aim. I not saying I am going to do this just wondering where people shoot the deer to do this.
I know if I shoot them up high, high lung shot under the spine, it takes out the lungs and spine and they drop like a rock.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: 1865

I started shooting this shot about 7 years ago. In that time I've taken 10-12 deer with it and have not had one of them take a single step. They go right down and never even seem to know what hits them.

That's the shot I was talking about with the high lung and spine.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

agree with clearanceman.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:14 PM

I usually just try and get lined up on the chest. When im shooting offhand and i dont have a whole lot of time to think, i honestly just got autopilot and its like something just takes over and aims. as long as its in the boiler room im happy. basically anywhere in the front half of a deer will kill it with a high powered rifle. dropping them in their tracks is nice, but i dont care if they run a little ways as long as they're dead on their feet. for example, i shot a doe tight behind the shoulder this year at about 35 yards. perfect broadside shot and i had the rail on the stand to rest on. about coulda done it with my eyes closed. I really thought i missed her when she didn't drop on the spot. ray charles coulda followed the blood trail that went about 40 yards. sure, nice when they drop right there, but if they are dead on their feet, ill take that too

slayer
Old 01-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot my first buck in the earhole. He died on his feet. I didn't do it on purpose. I was 13 and in my excitement I was concentrating on the rack instead of his vitals. I don't recommend this to try!
Old 01-15-2005, 08:54 PM

I have to agree with Uncle Matt. I think what you shoot the deer with has more of an impact than where you shoot them. Obviously, a spine or properly placed neck or head shot will most generally have the same result regardless of what the caliber is. Under most normal hunting situations how often does the hunter have the luxury to attempt those type of shots? Especially on a running deer? I've always tried to shoot my deer right behind the front shoulders. Over the years, I've shot numerous deer in this kill zone with a .30-30, .30-06, .35 Rem., and 7mm Mag. and not once to my recolection did I drop one of them in their tracks. However, 4 years ago I switched to a .45-70 and with my own loads I am pushing a 400 grain bullet nearly 2,000 feet per second. The results have been awesome! In the past 4 seasons, I have literally anchored 3 bucks in their tracks. They didn't even flinch when they hit the ground. Two others were able to stagger about 10 yards before piling up and another went a marathon distance of about 40 yards! Since I'm still shooting the deer in the same place, I have to conclude that it is the larger caliber that is producing the "dropped on the spot" results.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:38 AM

Hard to run with both shoulders shattered.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:13 PM

right in the head waste no meat at all and makes the anamial very clean to dress and i can get them in the head at over 175 yards with my good ol .303 birtsh