Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

So What Do You Consider A Trophy ?

Old 12-23-2004, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So What Do You Consider A Trophy ?

Like anything in life, it's what each person defines for themselves. That being said, to me, a trophy is that extra special deer. A deer is a deer and I love deer hunting more than anything, but (when) I finally tag that big buck, you know the kind that takes your breath away when you first see him., then I'll have my trophy. A hunter's first deer is probably the biggest trophy of all, regardless of size.

I am also a diehard fly fisherman. I have caught many trout but it's that 10 pounder that has been eluding me thru the years. When I finally net him, it will truly be my trophy. It's the same for me when deer hunting. I hunt areas with low deer density, so I don't have the luxury to see deer every time out in the woods, so any legal deer is special, but is it a trophy, no to me. A spike is nice, but that 12 pointer than dresses over 200 pounds is what I personally call my trophy.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

Rule 1 = all deer are a trophy.
Rule 2 = the deer that's bigger than the last
Rule 3 = the deer that was the hardest to hunt
Rule 4 = the deer that combined rules 1 through 3
Rule 5 = the deer you remember the most.

The memory of the first deer I took (doe at 11 years old) is more vivid in my mind than my biggest buck.
EXACTLY!!
Old 01-22-2005, 04:16 AM

A big, heavy bodied fully mature buck of at least 4 1/2 years old, regardless of his rack size.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:26 AM

Anything I would Kill I would consider a trophy because I took the time to scout and hunt that deer that I shot, and even if I dont kill a deer I enjoy the outdoors so much its like a trophy in itself
Old 01-22-2005, 08:31 AM

a buck bigger than my last. However, always happy to take a doe too. My next goal/trophy is to find one with a drop tine.

luckyone
Old 01-22-2005, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

a great day afield.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I trophy hunt whitetails. I have very high standards in what I take because I want to get the ones I see and can't get a shot off at or the ones I do I just f@#% up on the oppurtunity. Three years ago I had the opppurtunity to shoot a white tail with at least 200 inches of mass in sub-zero temps, a possible state record, but hyperthema set in after 4 hours and I was so numb and shrieving and covered in snow, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn but bull headed I am. I have seen some other desent ones but nothing with the mass that that one had.
I do drop my standards come that last few days of the season though and will put some meat in the freezer. I just like antlers when it comes to white tail but when it comes to elk, I"m not so choosey, as long as its a bull. Bobby
Old 01-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm still at the point where any deer is a trophy. But growing up with a grandfather who was addicted to hunting an Eight Point or bigger was a trophy .
Chuck
Old 01-26-2005, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any deer i take is a trophy to me

Old 01-26-2005, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tell my wife every year that it is not about the kill, it is just being out there in the woods and enjoying the time. Every deer is special but I do consider the bigger bucks trophies, just because that is what we have always called them.

Quick Reply: So What Do You Consider A Trophy ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.