Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A How To ????

Old 12-18-2004, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Default A How To ????

Where I am hunting is public land.

I went there yesterday and met some of the other hunters there.
So I asked them how they did and what they saw.

They said they could hear the deer but they were way back in the
really thick stuff and wouldn't come out.

It is not legal to use dogs in this county and it is to thick to drive them out.
So my question is ( drum roll )

What is a good way to get them out ?
The land is about 2 miles wide and about 1 to 1 1/2 mile deep.
Over grown really bad.

Any suggestions ?

Thank You
Old 12-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A How To ????

Put a collar on and call your self a dog .
Post people at vantage points and several people still hunt in the thick stuff.
Go slow and quiet may even get a shot your self.
Not fun or easy for the still hunter but 1 way to move deer
Old 12-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

go in after them.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing will lure them out so you have little choice but to go in! It's not easy and you'll most likely lose some blood along the way but it's the only way to get them out! Move slow and easy and you might even get a shot yourself! I like being the one that go's in! I get down low and crawl along the deer trails as quiet as I can. I've suprised some doe's doing this. The last thing they expected was some crazy hunter crawling through that mess! Good luck!
Old 12-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Spike

we play musical stands,if you have friends sit awhile then one works to anothers stand he moves to the next one,so on and so on,keeps them moving and you dont sit to long,one man takes the others stand try to figure the best ways to set up and move,aerials help,plus yous are scouting the good stuff for the future
Old 12-21-2004, 03:55 AM
Fork Horn

I would do a lot of scouting after the season. Try and fine a funnel with several trails coming together. Put up a tree stand ,clear some brush if nessicary.You maybe able to finr several good stand sites.The deer are in there because it's a safe haven keep it that way and there will always be deer there. Even in places like this the deer will move around they have to eat,drink strech, and take a dump several times a day.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:35 AM

Here is what you do for next year. When everything is frozen solid, you go in and cut yourself a lane right through the heart of the area. Don't start on the edge of the thick stuff so it is less likely to be found by other hunters. Then while in there you can set up little "bridges" of fallen trees to get across the streams and such. Then next year, you or a buddy can go in and push the deer out.

With an area that is that big, you are bound to find some high ground that gets a lot of activity...might even find a new honey hole.

Doesn't help you much for this weekend though.

Here is another thing I like to do sometimes. It has absolutely nothing to do with you post but I just thoght of it. I will sometimes rake the leaves off of my trail all the way into my stand. Right down to the bare earth. Makes getting in and out very quiet.

Greg
Old 12-21-2004, 11:43 AM

I agree, go in after them.