Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tower Stands???

Old 12-17-2004, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tower Stands???

Does anyone hunt from a tripod style tower stand? I’ve come to the conclusion that the only way to get a booner from our land is to hunt deep in the overgrown clearcuts. There are trails all over them and there are rubs on every other tree. The only problem is, there’s no suitable tree for a treestand and it’s way too thick to still hunt. A tower stand would be the answer. My old man thinks I would stick out like a sore thumb. Is this true? I would put the stand up in July or August so the deer would get used to the stand. Me up in it may be a different story. However, my visibility would be great. Unless I’m sleeping, I should see them before they see me. What do you guys say?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tower Stands???

There's an outfitter that uses one on the land adjacent to mine. Its an open CRP field with a lot of scattered pine trees and a big hedge row along the south side. Heard a lot of shots coming from it all season long.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:50 AM

We use quite a few of the triod type stands of varying height and have also build a few towers ourselves. We tuck the tripods back into a suitable tree or clump of trees and do a little trimming for shooting lanes. They work great and are, IMHO, worth the investment. Jim
Old 12-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

as long as you build it or put it up with enough time for them to get used to it, it shouldn't matter that it sticks out like a sore thumb. It will be just like a tree in the middle of the field for them
Old 12-17-2004, 06:22 PM

I've never hunted from one, but I've got a friend that uses one of the tripod stands all the time in places where trees aren't big enough for climber or ladder stand.

He leaves a stuffed scare crow sitting in that stand all summer long....LOL....I guess the deer get used to seeing something sitting up there and don't pay much attention when he gets in it instead of the scare crow. I dont know........but he gets at least one deer out of that stand every year.

firstshot
---------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 12-17-2004, 07:50 PM

I've had deer all over the place around mine.