Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

tracks in the mud?

Old 12-20-2004, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tracks in the mud?

ORIGINAL: White-tail-deer

This all reminds me of a guy I met while on a hunt. He swore he could tell the difference between buck and doe droppings?? He was good!!!!
i think i know him, lol........my friend said that the bucks will leave a clump, does won't.......he's a deer killing machine, so i dont know what to believe.......but if i see nay fresh nuggest, stuck together or not, i know the deer are there and where there are does, the bucks will be nearby......
Old 12-20-2004, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

I know I can't tell. In the summer when they come out in the open I can see the bucks and does and where they walk. Then I go over and look at their tracks and for the most part can't tell the difference other than extream size. Had one buck at 200 + lbs and his tracks did stand out so when the pre season scouting came I always thought I could recognize his tracks. In this case I did take him and the jumbo tracks stopped. Have had a new jumbo track for two tears now and can't put a x on him, I do find his size tracke in conjunction with scrapes. I hear a car nearby took a monster this year, hope it wasn't him but the track has been absent for a while now.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:15 PM

Still say read " Big Bucks The Benoit Way". These guys hunt the Canadian border or northern most woods of Maine, NH and VT. They get on a track and follow it until they get the deer. Often times they will track the same deer for days simply based on the track and it's unique charecteristics. They do a great job of breaking down tracking and all that is involved and they do track on bare ground. Of course they also encounter snow at times during the season due to where they hunt. If you ever get a chance to see one of their tracking seminars it is worth the price of admission. I have yet to take one by their method but I have been flagged by the same deer 4 times in one day and tracked him over 6 miles from where I picked up his track until I lost shooting light. I don't believe as others stated that anyone can be 100% accurate but there are tell tale signs in some areas of the country based on body weight of the deer etc.. that help you narrow it down significantly beyond pure guess work.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

Like the two Jims say, you look for bigger tracks. Specifically, here in western MT, any unsplayed track that measures more than 2 1/8" wide is about 99.9% likely to be a buck, probably 3 1/2 years old or more.