HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - tracks in the mud?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 02:15 PM
NHBuck

Default RE: tracks in the mud?

Still say read " Big Bucks The Benoit Way". These guys hunt the Canadian border or northern most woods of Maine, NH and VT. They get on a track and follow it until they get the deer. Often times they will track the same deer for days simply based on the track and it's unique charecteristics. They do a great job of breaking down tracking and all that is involved and they do track on bare ground. Of course they also encounter snow at times during the season due to where they hunt. If you ever get a chance to see one of their tracking seminars it is worth the price of admission. I have yet to take one by their method but I have been flagged by the same deer 4 times in one day and tracked him over 6 miles from where I picked up his track until I lost shooting light. I don't believe as others stated that anyone can be 100% accurate but there are tell tale signs in some areas of the country based on body weight of the deer etc.. that help you narrow it down significantly beyond pure guess work.