Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

:S help me

Old 12-14-2004, 11:26 AM

Default :S help me

i am looking for a new gun and so far i think i am going to buy the remington model 710 in the 30-06 caliber and it comes with a bushnell sharpshooter 3-9 x 40 scope all for 480 dollars canadian i will probably be using a 180 grain bullet. do you think this is a good choice for hunting in the bush and field for moose elk and deer ? if not i am open to suggestions. i am a 15 year old male and i am pretty much a first time hunter before i was hunting with a 340 weatherby mag. with a muzzle brake and i shot 2 does and a calf moose.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: :S help me

Welcome to the board stevo.The way im reading this you were 14 when you started hunting and the 340 weatherby mag was your choice of firearm.What province do you live in(assuming your Canadian)Whats the legal age requirement where you hunt?
Going from the 340 mag to the 30-06 is a big jump.The 180 grain will do everything you want it to do on moose,elk and deer.
Just curious------Why the change,the 340 was your first and it served you well.Oviously superior in range and knockdown power
Old 12-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Not to talk down, but you would be better off with one of the rem 700s rather than a 710. I have a friend who bought a 710 and hates it. I have also heard bad things about them. But it is like everything else, You hear good and bad. I have not personally tried one, it could be a great gun, just repeating what I have heard.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/viewtopic.php?t=38172

here is a sight with a discussion on the 710, hope it helps out.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:16 PM

I have a 710, it is an all right gun. Yes, the 700 would be a better choice and would proably be in your gun cabnet 50 years from now. That being said the 710 is built on a the same frame just has some plastic components in the action. I live in Illinois, we can't use rifles, so a gun that I am only firing a few times a year, when I am hunting out of state, will proably last me a while.

The 710 combo wilol shoot straight and serve you well for a few years, just not the rest of your life.