Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I hate my climber....

Old 12-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default I hate my climber....

I have the bear river nomad climber and I hate the damn thing. It use the braker bite system to attach to the tree. It is comfortale to sit in, but I ahte climbing with it. You can either climb without undoing the seat and its not easy to climb with, or you can put the seat in the back and sit on it to climb with and it sjnot tobad. Then there is a problem when you get up the tree. If you used the seat to sit and climb yhou know have to undo it again and put it back so you can sit in it, or yuo can step over it. I hate trying to step over it when I am 20-30 feet up in a tree.

Then there is the foor strap. It has a 2 in wide strap you slide your fot under, then you pull a bungee around teh back of yoiur boot to keep it snug.. well when you are getting ready to climb down, its a pain in the azz. you have to bend down in the stand and wiggle your foot around to get it into the strap, then if youir luck you did not have your foot on the bungee. arggggg I am getitng tired of it. I am to the point where I just would rahter go a ladder stand or a tripod that is already setup. I am not going ot soem of my good spots anymore cause I just dont want to use my climber.......

I used a freinds the other day and I could beleive how easy it was, its called the tomcat 2 I was not used to facing the tree but it seems ok after trying it...

here is a pic of mine..

Old 12-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I hate my climber....

So are you offering it for sale cheap?
Old 12-09-2004, 01:02 PM

You might be able to do away with the bungee cord. use a small rope about 3'-4' long, tie it to the bottom piece of your climber, this will stay tied to the bottom piece at all times. After securing both pieces of the climber on a tree tie the top piece to the small rope already attached on the bottom piece. Now if your foot(s) slips out of the bottom piece while climbing it can't fall down out of reach leaving you stranded.(that's the main purpose of the bungee cord)
Old 12-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try a Summit Viper with the quick climb stirrups and your problems will be over.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:28 PM

Just curious what are the quick climb stirrups?
Thanks,
JE
Old 12-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know what kind of bungee you use but I use the thick black rubber bungee! It helps alot with the rubber on rubber boots, works great!
Old 12-09-2004, 10:09 PM

I bought a Summit Viper this year and love it. I'm getting rid of my Deer hunter climber and buying one or two more Vipers. Click on the link and it will show you the rapid climb stirrups.

http://www.summitstands.com/productDetail.aspx?id=85052
Old 12-10-2004, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Summit Viper!

My Dad has one and man that thing is nice. Really a pleasure to use compared to the older models.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try a Summit ,I'll bet you'll love it .

nubo
Old 12-12-2004, 04:04 PM

Default RE: I my climber....

I love my Summit Viper X4. it's wisper quite and once you spend the time to get the stirrups in just the right spot it's a dream to climb with.

Another thing, Always use an umbilical cord to connect the top and bottom peices. Last week I had my feet dangling over the front and when I pulled them back up it lifted the front of the climber up and it slid down the tree. Had I not had the umbilical cord hooked up I might still be in that tree.

Quick Reply: I hate my climber....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.