Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting

Old 12-05-2004, 08:00 AM

Default RE: Hunting

you got to give us a lot more to go on if you are going to get tips that might help.First off what part of which state are you hunting,do you have a climbing stand or are you just ground hunting.Are you hunting open woods or brush and do you have any soybean or corn fields in your spots or hay fields.What weapons are you using.Give us all the info you can think of, and maybe someone can come up with something that might help all us tag ole slough foot.Here is a picture of one i got in dec of 97,black powder 45 yards.I was hunting a clearcut pine stand in the upper hollysprings national forest in north ms. There are so many hunters that go there that the morning i got this one there were 9 pickups parked in one little drive when i got there.I just walked a 100 yards of the side of the road and sat next to a log pile of pine slash about a hour later after hearing 20 or so shots from the other hunting the area i saw him sneaking up a little drain that ended up coming right by me i never moved i just sat still i don't think i even took a breath .He stoped just for a second to check his back trail thats when i raised my rifle and filled the holler with smoke.The shot took out both shoulders and put his lights out.He was the biggest buck to be checked in that day and i won a local big buck contest that paid a $100 cash and got a free mount.Not a bad hunt for public land.

Old 12-05-2004, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some may agree and some may not with my post. You see does alot because you hunt where the does travel and hang around. Except for the rut the does and bucks hang in different places in the woods, If you are hunting trails that are beat down with tracks and sign your going to see alot of does. Find the trails that you can barley notice further back in the woods, right next to the creek or thru the thick stuff. It,s hard to hunt these places because you don,t see near as many deer. When you do see a deer though there is a good chance it will be a buck. Big bucks have no trouble traveling rough terrain. Try some of these spots you will see what I mean.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:35 PM

to have patience, listen to seasoned vets like the ones giving you advise right here in this forum, read magazines about different styles of hunting. ex. tree standing,stalking,tracking etc. and figure out what suits you and your terrain best, try following deer in the off season to brush up on your skills of stealth, listen to all, and sort it out for yourself what to use, you have many good people to listen to right here. but what i would like everyone to remember.....NO DEER IS WORTH A HUMAN LIFE.....shoot safe and true my young friend and remember patience ya didnt learn ta ride that bicycle first or second time either did ya? but ya finally did it
----------------------------------
a bad day huntin is still better than a good day inside
------------------------------------------
to hunt is the fun to get a deer is a bonus....
Old 12-05-2004, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

i need some hunting tips as i am a 15 year hunter and i have only been hunting 2 times and i cannot get any bucks
If I had every year back that I went hunting without harvesting an animal I would be as youg as you. Hang in there, and hang a stand and you'll get one, or at least see some.