Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 #1 thing that contributes to your success? >

#1 thing that contributes to your success?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

#1 thing that contributes to your success?

Old 12-03-2004, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: #1 thing that contributes to your success?

Persistence...
Old 12-03-2004, 11:29 AM

The ONLY Thing you need to be successful is good land to hunt with plenty of deer using it.

Get up a tree. You can get away with a lot more casual movement 20 feet up a tree then you can on the ground where scratching your nose could spell disaster. You still can't do jumping jacks up there but you get the drift.

If you are like most people and have to hunt land where a decent amount of work and some luck sprinkled in are needed for success then I would say 2 things are a must.

#1 Don't hunt where it looks good to YOU. Hunt where you think looks good to a DEER. It's nice to be able to see 200 yards in every direction but deer don't just walk out in the open and say "shoot me". They enjoy at least a little cover and what I try and do is find a thick area that they will come from and then set up in a semi thick transition point somewhere in between. When they travel they will tend to stick with the cover of the semi thick transition area vs just breaking into the clear.

#2 Put your time in. You can't kill anything if you're not in the woods. I hear MANY people start to gripe after not getting a deer for 2 days..........cmon man........would you really want it too be that easy?? If I could just walk outside and sit down knowing a I would drop a deer within an hour I don't know how exciting that would be.

A good amount of time spent in woods where there are a respectable amount of deer will at least get you some sitings.........the rest is up to you

Be a good shot too. What could be worse then only getting one chance a year and blowing it because you can't shoot?
Old 12-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Patients and understanding.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

TIME IN THE WOODS. The people who shoot more deer then others all have one thing in common. they spend tons of time in the woods.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:48 PM

I'm right with Ironranger, if it wasn't for my persistence of not getting one for so long, I'd be at home playing video games like the rest of (immature) kids my age (17)
Old 12-03-2004, 01:40 PM

Patience, keep movement to a minimal, dress for comfort/warmth in the woods, no wind, practice with your weapon of choice, right place/right time, deer knowledge.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

Being where the animals are. After that there are many pieces of the puzzle that all go to filling my tag.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

patience and determination
Old 12-03-2004, 03:52 PM

Time is the #1 key to sucess if u dont put no time in the woods u wont get none.