Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Boiling Heads???

Old 11-29-2004, 03:06 PM

Default Boiling Heads???

How long do you have to boil a scalp or whole head for mounting? And do you add anything to the water? Anything would help, because I don't know? Thanks.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Boiling Heads???

i've never added anything when boiling the scalp. You want to try and get as much meat off the bone as you can before you boil (scalp or head). Once properly boild the remaining meat should come off easily.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:27 PM

I just did this awhile ago. Before you boil do your best to get all the meat off you can. Get the water to a rolling boil and let it sit in there for like 15-20 minutes
After that take the skull out and let it dry. Once dry the remaining pieces of meat just scrapped off real easy for me.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

One more tip: Do it outside if possible (Turkey fryer works great) because it STINKS!!
Old 11-29-2004, 08:34 PM

yes when you boil a head for mounting or euro and salt to the water then add sal-soda ( soda-ash ) boil it for an hour then remove most of all the meat should come off if not repeat boiling for another 15 to 20 min go to www.vandykestaxidermy.com to pick up what you need to do this good luck
Old 11-29-2004, 10:29 PM

i did this to a deer last year, and i used a deep fryer on a camping stove. I brought it to a boil and rigged it to hold the antlers above the water level. After that, i placed the skull into the water and every 45 minutes, add some amount of water to make up for the water that had evaporated. I didnt use salt or salt ash or anything, so it took a little bit longer.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:22 AM

Just did this last weekend. Did one for me a 3 for some others. I skinned mine out and boiled it for an hour or so. Used a 55 gal drum cut down resting on some concrete blocks stacked two high on each side. Built the fire below using some cedar posts too short for fencing. I wrapped tin foil around the base of each antler about 6" up. I put powdered detergent in mine about 1 scoop. Came out great. My buddies didn't skin theirs and I told them I wasn't their taxidermist so I did them skin and all. When you pull the head up and the nose and bottom jaw fall away its close. A stick pushed against the top of the scalp will push the remainder of the hide away when its ready. I never changed the water for the other 3 and they didn't get as white. I'm soaking bleach towels on them now. Careful not to poke the nose area as it is very delicate and prone to crumble.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:04 AM

Try this web site. I did my first one last year using these instructions and it came out very nice.

http://www.southernvisuals.com/LeBou...kull_mount.htm
Old 11-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

I am going to try this, Thanks for the info.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:48 PM

I boiled mine for a couple hours, and I also added two bottles of peroxid. I think it helped to whiten the skull.