Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

boiling skull

Old 10-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default boiling skull

How long do you boil the skull when you do a euro mount. A friend of mine has a set up where I can boil the skull. Can you over boil it? I plan on cleaning as much stuff off as possible first.
Also do you use straight peroxide and soak for 24 hours after it's cleaned good? I will make sure it stays off the antlers also...maybe a small rag at the skull base so the peroxide sort of wicks up there.
Thanks
crutch
Old 10-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: boiling skull

Can you over boil it?
Any boiling is over boiling. Do a search on the word maceration. Should give you all you need to know.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:06 AM

Absolutely correct, using water maceration or beetles is the best way to treat that skull. You can also look up Skulls Unlimited for cleaning. They do an outstanding job.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

all of the skulls that i have done(boiled) all told take several hours. i start with a large stock pot and half a bottle of lemon juice(helps eat away bit's of flesh and takes away from the stink) every 1/2 hour or so i will pull the skull and take a small sharp knife and scrape at the skull. keep a eye on the lower jaw bone(if you plan on saving that)because that along with the nose plate are the weakest part of the skull.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

I recently boiled a deer skull (w/o the lower jaw) in a large pot in water for approx5 hrs and then went over it w/a small scrub brush. Then I boiled it for another hour. Several days later, I soaked it in straight peroxide for 24 hrs. I then soaked it in water for 24 hrs and it came out AWESOME...easier than I thought...good luck.

PS: Only soak it up to the antlers. I soaked/peroxide mine in a narrow type tupper wear, like the type you would use for cereal.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

European skull mounts

In my shop I use 35% peroxide. First take off most of the meat and brains, cover the skull not the horns with the peroxide, use rags around the base of the horns so the peroxide can leech up to the underside of the burr. After a week or two (depends on how well you cleaned it) rinse it in dawn dish detergent and water till it comes out clean, place it in the sun to dry. If it is the way you want it, then cover it with modge-podge high gloss and it will be sealed and stay clean forever. If you used bleach the modge-podge will seal the skull and stop the flaking that can go on forever. You can put the skull back into the peroxide as many times as you like, but if you notice the skull is falling apart take it out, you have left it in too long. You will have to glue the teeth into the skull. Never use bleach because it will continue to breakdown the bone forever. We do not boil the skull as most of the time it will fall apart if kept in too long.

Rich