Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cold Toes???

Old 11-28-2004, 01:18 PM

Default Cold Toes???

I'm having trouble with my toes getting cold.I've got a nice set of boots(800g)and wool socks.Last year I had the same problem with my 1000g boots.I have a medical condition with my feet and hands that causes them to sweat bad and i'm wondering if thats causing them to get cold.I even went as far as doubling up my wool socks and they still got cold.I tried some toasty toes and they did'nt work at all.I used to have set of neopreme socks that I bought at Wal-Mart a couple years ago and they solved all my problems but I lost them and Wal-Mart does not carry them any more.Anybody know where I might find some or have any ideas for me.I'd greatly appreciate it.Don't drill me too hard for complaining about cold toes.I hate cutting a hunt short cause my toes are killing me.
Thanks
JE
Old 11-28-2004, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cold Toes???

The entire problem is your feet sweating....Won't matter if you put on 5 pair of socks...If yours sweating your going to get cold...
Old 11-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Spray your feet with a good anti-perspirant before you put your socks on.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

try to go in the woods in shoes without your thick socks on...when you get there put it all on to keep from sweating. Also i think rubber boots are warmer, but not as good if you do a lot of moving around.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:57 PM

Try Basspro Shops, Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Dunn's, even the 'underarmor' garments the athletes wear would be perhaps a better choice still. Next, have you tried pac boots? That's what we wear when I hunt up north, bulky and heavy but warm and ideal for stand hunting...Sorel is the name, available from the aforementioned retail stores. Last resort, waer the Sorels and then zipper them up inside those huge booties designed to go over even them once you get on stand...wow! I guarantee your feet won't get cold! [&:]
Old 11-28-2004, 04:04 PM

Basspro Shops has $19 battery powered eletric heated socks. I have 800g thinsulate boots but once it gets below 40f I bust out the hot socks.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:35 PM

Thanks guys I appreciate the replies.I'll definately try those until I find one that works.
Thanks again,
JE
Old 11-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try wearing 2 pair of socks whose combined thickness is less than the 1 wool pair you're wearing now. The first pair -next to your skin- should be a sock liner made of polypropolene or silk or some other material known for it's wicking ability....the second pair worn over the wicking socks can be made 1/2 and 1/2 of wicking material and wool. The point is that the layering and the wicking will help you overcome some of the sweating problem by providing an air space and a water delivery system (delivering the sweat away from your skin).
If you combine this with using anti-persperant on your feet and thoroughly drying out your boots each evening it should help.
You may also consider going to a Pac-boot and changing the pacs and socks at noon each day.....and buying at least 3 pairs of pacs and socks so you can constantly rotate dry ones into the boots.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Spike

LoL, I used to have the same problem with the sweat and cold feet. I tried the battery socks and only sweated twice as much and then when the battery died my toes felt like they were frozen. I ended up getting some wick-away socks and some 800 mg boots and have not had a problem since.

good luck,
cahillnnc
Old 11-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

try this take an extra pair of socks with you to your stand and when you get there switch the socks in your pocket for your sweaty ones that works for a friend of mine.

Quick Reply: Cold Toes???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.