Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 who rightfully killed this deer >

who rightfully killed this deer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

who rightfully killed this deer

Old 11-27-2004, 10:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-28-2004, 12:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: who rightfully killed this deer

The law says that whoever delivered the lethal shot ,the deer is his.thats the Pa. law where I'm from.The tag you put on the tag says kill tag
Old 11-28-2004, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

well the one who shot it first wants to mount it and all since he put it down and it didnt get up until they got close and his other shot just missed the spine. the others just hit the butt from the side.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:37 AM

Obviously they are young because a real man,or should I say a real friend would just concede and let the fella that hit it in the legs have it but sounds like some inexperienced,immaturity going on.

I once shot a 10 point that would have scored around 155-160.It had just been shot right in the very front of the brisket area from a broadside hit with a 308.A young fella of 13 years old shot at it and I was just a couple hundred yards away over a small ridge.Shot scared the poop outta me for I did not know he was over there.Public land in Virginia.

Anyway the deer came through some mountain laurel and stopped and looked back behind him when I put him down in his tracks.I approached the deer and saw the front grazing wound,hardly any blood loss at all.I figured someone may come along so I waited before tagging and dressing and it was only a few short minutes before this boy and his grandpop showed up.

They were not tracking blood but looking for it.They only found a couple spots and a lot of hair where it was at when he shot.Then they heard me shoot and headed that way.

I told the boy the deer was his,he drew first blood.I even squeaked out a white lie and told the boy I thought the buck was staggering a bit although it was not.The boys grandpop knew better and winked at me.I offered to help with the drag and they politely refused the offer.This was the boys first deer and would be his first field dressing job as well so I left.

Figured he was nervous enough.I was 19 when this happened and it took another 15 years before I got another 160 buck but hey,he drew first blood...Sorry to hijack your thread.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going with E. Owens and cardeer on this one.

That's how we handle it in Delaware and anywhere else I've ever heard.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

well which shot would you consider the killing shot then.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

not we boys i didnt shoot. the deer was running at about 100yards when he first got hit in the legs
Shooting a running buck at 100 yards is not a good shot in the first place.

He should be standing still for a 100 yard shot.

So try that next time OK.

A running 100 yard shot gives hunters a bad name.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jrbsr
Shooting a running buck at 100 yards is not a good shot in the first place.
He should be standing still for a 100 yard shot.
A running 100 yard shot gives hunters a bad name.
I respectfully disagree, I think it all depends on the terrain and how skilled and confident the shooter is--I've probably killed 25-30 bucks and another dozen does in my life and at least probably 8-10 were running at distances of 50-200+ yds. I did not feel that it was a low percentage shot at the time and still don't. In fact, if I have to shoot offhand--I would 10x rather the target be moving than holding still. the only deer I've missed were holding still and I was moving uncontrollably "with the buck fever"...I'm not saying that any of this discussion pertains to this particular incident--obviously the shots talked about in this thread were not in the 10 ring but it sounds like these hunters are young and hopefully will get better--I believe that anyone who started hunting at a young age has probably had a few learning experiences at least the animal did not get away.
Shuler--sounds like the first guy is probably the one who got the deer--you said his second shot was below the spine--did he hit the vitals? or just hit that "no man's land" between the vitals and the spine?--the guy that shot the deer in the @ss--did he hit anything else (back bone?) surely these two can figure it out w/o having to get their lawyers involved (grin) good luck--be careful out there
hb
Old 11-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

the one in the chest was right below the spine barely missing, while the but shot didnt hit anything and didnt even go all the way threw. The first one didnt shoot again because the deers right leg was hanging on by fur and the other was about half on.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think in this case the first guy gets the deer. These wounds would been have fatal if the deer wasn,t pushed. In fact if i were the first guy I would tear that hanging leg off and beat my so called buddy upside the head with it. He shouldn,t have shot at it at all.

Quick Reply: who rightfully killed this deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.