Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This made me sick....

Old 11-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default This made me sick....

I went to one of our check in stations during bow season and saw someone from school with a deer. The deer still had spots on him, and he was bragging about how it just stuck to the ground and waddled around because the arrow stuck him down there. I dont think anyone who shoots a deer with spots is a real hunter. I dont even like to see someone shoot deer under the 60lbs. My brother did that this year and said he couldent tell it was that small, hes did it before though and i dont understand it. Why would someone shoot something that small. Ive seen many deer like this before but i dont have the heart to shoot them and would have no pride in it. Accidents may happen, but a deer with spots on it is sickening to shoot i think.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:30 AM

Default RE: This made me sick....

Are you talking about a fawn? I was allways taught never to shoot fawns or a doe that has fawns with her, boy my dad would have beaten my arse if I ever did
Old 11-27-2004, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

Shuler....

I would have to disagree with you to a point. I tend to let fawns walk, and I haven't ever shot one that still had it's spots on it. However, you have to be very careful when you start using the "Disney mentality" method of game management. You can't not harvest an animal because you feel sorry for it, which is what you seem to imply. You have to look at it as simply a management deer. Now if you are trying to improve the buck numbers in an area, then you have to be careful shooting smaller deer because it's a 50-50 chance you're about to cap a buck fawn. In fact many times a doe will be passed because she has fawns, but someone will decide to take one of the fawns w/her. They usually pick out the biggest of the two and about 70% of the time it's a button buck. If your game department says antlerless deer need to be harvested, be a man and step up and lend a hand. Why is it so hard to understand that deer herds are managed at an impossibly high number in relation to the land's carrying capacity? We want lots of deer? We need to kill lots of them as well.....

Just my 2 cents.

GH
Old 11-27-2004, 10:07 AM

Although I don't agree with that hunter's alleged bravado concerning the injured state of the deer he'd stuck (that's the worst part), we need to be careful about mandating any further limitations than what constitutes a 'legal deer'. Did he break the law...no, was he within his rights...yes, would you or I care to harvest such a deer...nope.

True, I would never shoot a fawn, but then again I don't care to shoot does or even small or average bucks. Would it be fair or wise of me to demand other hunters subscribe to my standards?...of course not, our deer herds would be a wreck. I'm thankful many hunters harvest the necessary numbers of does to control carrying capacities, improve the buck/doe ratio, and reduce risk of disease.

Besides, that fawn will provide far better venison than my 5 1/2-6 1/2 year old buck any day haha.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

you cannot feal sorry for any deer just because of its age, and although the youngest deer are by far the easiest to kill, you have to stop and think about how tender that meat is,a big doe has meat so tough that you can hardley chew it, as where the young ones have meat to die for. my uncle takes fawns over a doe or small buck anytime. he is simply a meat taker. he doesnt go and just not kill anything if theres not a buck around. he had patience and can wait, but if a small yearling is there, he will shoot it. if you think about it, here in illinois the deer pop. just keeps growing. only way to stop that is by killing deer. and as many of these protest groups try and stop hunting, they dont understand that the more deer, the more accidents, and more human lives that are going to be taken instead of deer. its not like we are goin out there and killin them and leaving them there to rot. we kill them for a purpose, no matter how big the animal.each deer you kill could be a live saved. that deer may had been planing to cross the highway that night, you never know.and when people kill deer with a car, they do nothing about it. they leave it on the road to rot, so why not let us kill it and put it to use? a young deer is a good deer for a first time hunter to take, to give them faith and courage to keep with hunting.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:14 PM

i've shot a few fawns, as well as big does with their fawns. the fawns will be fine. they'll join another doe group. fawns make the best eating, as they're very tender. if given enough time, i can usually make sure the fawn isnt a nub by seeing the shape of the top of its head. if its flat, its a buck. if its round, its a doe. nothin' wrong with shooting a fawn

its a good thing he shot it this late in the year if it still had spots. chances are, it wouldnt survive the winter if it still had spots this late or even in mid november. he did the deer a favor by not letting it get ripped apart by coyotes or starve to death.

slayer
Old 11-27-2004, 03:01 PM

I wouldnt shoot a fawn . But the 1.5 year olds are the youngest ill go . That is stupid that he got one with spots .

later , hunter cameron
Old 11-27-2004, 07:38 PM

I shot a small one once a long time ago, many years ago in fact,lol. Last day, last 10 minutes of shooting time. Well, buds just gave it to me,lol. They said I shot it so hard that I knocked the spots off it. To add insult to injury, they grab it and just put behind the folding seat in the truck, said it's too small to ride in the back with the real deer!!!![&o]. Besides they said the glove box is full, or they would put it in there. This was almost 20 years ago,lol. I have been ribbed, teased, poked fun at, and it always comes up once in awhile, in a friendly manner. That was my first deer after many hunts and alot of trying hard. It been 14 years to this day, that I have hunted with that crew,(all still good friends, but I went elsewhere). Well today was the last day and we had one tag left, I went with them today,lol. Would I shoot a small one? Yes but not with them,lol.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

people around here shoot them, its really nothing to be ashamed of, their meat is BY FAR the best. if you have never shot them because you thinks its wrong, then you havent had the best tasteing deer meat.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

i will stick with a normal sized deer meat. I dont care if the meat is the best going if its a "baby" i wont shoot it and never would of even when i started hunting.

Quick Reply: This made me sick....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.