HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - This made me sick....
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2004, 09:52 AM
Grasshopper13
Typical Buck

Default RE: This made me sick....

Shuler....

I would have to disagree with you to a point. I tend to let fawns walk, and I haven't ever shot one that still had it's spots on it. However, you have to be very careful when you start using the "Disney mentality" method of game management. You can't not harvest an animal because you feel sorry for it, which is what you seem to imply. You have to look at it as simply a management deer. Now if you are trying to improve the buck numbers in an area, then you have to be careful shooting smaller deer because it's a 50-50 chance you're about to cap a buck fawn. In fact many times a doe will be passed because she has fawns, but someone will decide to take one of the fawns w/her. They usually pick out the biggest of the two and about 70% of the time it's a button buck. If your game department says antlerless deer need to be harvested, be a man and step up and lend a hand. Why is it so hard to understand that deer herds are managed at an impossibly high number in relation to the land's carrying capacity? We want lots of deer? We need to kill lots of them as well.....

Just my 2 cents.

GH