Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

1st Time Deer Hunting

Old 11-25-2004, 09:00 PM

Default 1st Time Deer Hunting

This will be the first year that I will be going deer hunting. I have a Winchester .270 (150 grain) with a Bushnell 4 x 12 x 40 scope. I live in NE Alabama and have just over 200 acres of private land in the country to hunt on. Being new to this is there anyone that can give me a few pointers to help me out any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Good luck to all the hunters out there and God bless.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 1st Time Deer Hunting

This will be the first year that I will be going deer hunting. I have a Winchester .270 (150 grain) with a Bushnell 4 x 12 x 40 scope. I live in NE Alabama and have just over 200 acres of private land in the country to hunt on. Being new to this is there anyone that can give me a few pointers to help me out any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Good luck to all the hunters out there and God bless.
One thing is be as scent free as posible.

http://www.hunterspec.com

Scent-A-Way is good

And another thein is deer scent don't get it on you

The deer will attack you if you have it on you.

Here is a good deer lure scent to use

http://www.rushcreekdeerlure.com

Also Primos calls are good

http://www.primos.com

Any way Good Luck

And Welcome To Deer Hunting

jrbsr
Old 11-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

First of enjoy yourself and nature, it is a wonderful place to spend time!

My tips would be know the wind and use it your advantage. Meaning keep it on your nose blowing away from the deer or where they are coming from. Second keep your movements to a min., pan with your eyes not big gross movements. Be attentive with your ears and listen to sounds that may signal an apporaching animal. When it comes time to shot pick a spot on the deer not the whole deer and excute like you would on the range. After the shot watch the deer reaction and where it goes...make mental notes and get markers to help you in tracking.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just get out there as much as possible and don't worry about screwing up. we've all done it. learn thru observation-and trial and error and hopefully you will continue to be a student of the outdoors from here on out. If you are hunting by yourself you might ask someone with knowledge and integrity to hunt w/you on your land if possible (choose wisely). What info we can give here will be increased ten fold by someone w/you in the field. move slowly, use cover to break up your outline--if a deer looks at you--hold still until they look away--have lots of patience and wait for the right shot. good luck--let us know what happens
HB

jrbsr--I challenge any deer to attack me while I am hunting (grin)
Old 11-26-2004, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Good luck, most important stay downwind of where you are hunting!