Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

in the dark

Old 11-26-2004, 09:17 PM

Default RE: in the dark

Charles, you're experiencing something all of us has been through at some point.

It's natural to get nervous while walking to your stand in the dark. Humans are not nocturnal by nature, so whenever you head for your stand in the dark, you're doing something that does not come to us naturally.

The nervousness you're mistaking for fear is your body's way of preparing you for the hunt as you enter the wild. Pay attention to what's happening to you physically next time you get ready to walk to your stand in the dark. Your breathing speeds up, your adrenaline gets cranked up, your pulse begins to race somewhat, and the result is the heightened state of awareness your body and mind require as you begin adapting to your surroundings. It truly is an amazing thing. Your body actually takes physical action to transform you, Charles, into nature's most awesome predator.

Remember, when confronted with the unknown, the imagination can often become an untamed, wild beast. Tame this beast with facts and reality. Your mind and ears need visual confirmation that the danger is only imaginary, so go with it and carry a flashlight.

Don't worry about spooking deer, most of the time the light won't affect them. Just plan to be on stand 30 minutes prior to legal shooting, to give deer time to calm down and go back to feeding. Keep the flashlight pointed on the ground as you walk. A flashlight with a red filter will help you retain your night vision, and is even less likely to spook game. If you hear something that freaks you out, don't hesitate to shine the flashlight at it. (See, it was just a jackrabbit...) Your ears need visual confirmation of what you're hearing in order to teach your mind to adapt to the unnatural act of walking in the dark.

As you walk along, remind yourself that you are the DOMINANT predator, the biggest, baddest hombre' in the woods. The other animals out there know it, and want nothing from you but distance. Remind yourself that your chance of encountering a predator is very, very slim, as the woods is a big place, but should it happen, you're armed and ready to ammo-roast it.

Above all, give yourself time to adapt to this. With the moon being 100% full right now, you have a great opportunity to make some hikes into your stand with your surroundings illuminated. The more you do it, the easier it will get. Remember, you are the master. Start walkin', and above all, have fun!

Andy

P.S. -- Dump the scary movies. They just feed the untamed beast of the imagination.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

find someone you know that coon hunts with dogs.....tag along....got me over any fears of the dark....i was running hounds with dad when i was 6 or 7yrs old...not bragging or anything but i was...and i never been afraid of the dark...being out there for hours on end in the dark you learn theres nothing going to get you...worst fear is spiders....and youll see me carrying a stick swatting aimlessly infront of me when they are bad in the summer months....something i got from coon hunting...nothing like standing there and having a spider run down your shirt!!!! dont feel liek a sissy or anyhting....your one of mannnnnnny hunters that wont go in the woods in the dark....i see them every year waiting in the fields and big trails for the sun to go in the woods....first light is what its all about....im there an hour before when im deer hunting if i can be....usually have deer puttsing around infront of me at first light...nothin like hearing deer for half an hour looking and looking trying to get a peak...then waiting for enough light to shoot...legal light here its still rather dark believe it or not...but really....just practice getting to your stand in the dark....woods look ALOT diffrent in the dark....i go in with no light...i practice my trail many times before i hunt...and learn it....and dont use a light till im looking for my tree if i need it...usually the first morning i do.....but you know theres nothing going to get you...a small light will help you out and give you comfort...and pointed at the ground your not going to spook much....just try not to be like alot of guys shining way ahead of you.....and dont carry a huge spotlight or anything....its not needed imo.....good luck....oh ya...welcome to the boards!!
Old 11-27-2004, 02:24 PM

Hey Charlie,Andys right.
But,Your going to come across a situation one time or another,when you kill a deer 15 minutes before dark.
Then what would you do?Got to gut and drag,so you`d better overcome this ASAP.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:19 PM

mauser, i've been coon-huntin several times before, and walking in the dark is no problem when i'm with somebody and a dog. But walking alone makes me feel vulnerable, like andy said.

beagle - If i shoot a deer 15 mins before dark, i call dad and he comes and we trail it unless it dropped. then i call him and wait for him to help me get it out
Old 11-27-2004, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another thing you might consider Charles Ray is think of your name backwords. ( Ray Charles ) Then you will always be in the dark!
Old 11-28-2004, 12:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Like I said,THERE IS NOTHING OUT THERE UGLIER THEN YOURSELF, Thats what I was told years ago. I dont have the problem anymore if you think about it that way
Old 11-28-2004, 02:42 PM

Charles Ray, this year alone I have logged many miles hiking in the pitch black in the mountains. We have wolves, bear, mountain lion, and a ton of other predators. I have no problem because the reward is an elk. In elk hunting you absolutely must get in front of that herd at shooting light, and that often means hiking in the dark. There is no boogie man out there. Always remember, you are at the top of the food chain. My attitude is: if there is anything out here, it better hope it doesn't run into me. As long as you remember that your the one to fear, you will be find.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:36 PM

I remember, as a youmg man, waiting what seemed like hours after dark for the sound of an approaching three-wheeler. I could turn a bush into a demon with my terrified imagination. Just posting this tells me you are a brave and well adjusted hunter as i never admitted to my dad that I was afraid.
Always remember... you are the Apex hunter...the Alpha male... The most dangerous creature in the forest.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:07 PM

The only thing you have to worry about is tripping and falling or running into a tree. Animals won't bother you unless you climb up your stand and there is a possum or coon sitting in your stand now that is a shocker! It is other hunters that scare me! The only time it bothers me is early season when there are spider webs. Years ago when I first started hunting my dad kept taking me out in the woods in the moonlight and we would just walk around without lights. after awhile your eyes adjust. Then I started going out by myself and after a few times your fear is gone.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

I try to get in my stand bout 30 min b4.. i used to have that problem.. what you need to do is walk around the woods get familiar with your surroundings... and just try to concentrate on getting to your stand.. not what animals are around you

Quick Reply: in the dark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.