Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Tagged out in NY by 7:40 am (UPDATED WITH PICS) >

Tagged out in NY by 7:40 am (UPDATED WITH PICS)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tagged out in NY by 7:40 am (UPDATED WITH PICS)

Old 11-22-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Tagged out in NY by 7:40 am (UPDATED WITH PICS)

What a day........or morning I should say

Sat on a ridge at about 6:50 am in my Summit and pulled my gun up as daylight began to crack. Beautiful day and just a wonderful place to sit and hunt. Didn't care if I saw a deer all day........I was happy as could be. I was with my dad and 2 brothers out hunting and there were not 100 other guys sitting in my lap or walking by every 2 minutes. Life was good for opening day of gun.

A few early shots rang out around the area and I thought we had a good chance at taking some deer...........seeing some at least.

Some rustling to my left got my attention and it was a buck moving through the scrubby brush from my left to right at about 40 yards. I squat down and rest my 870 on my Summit rail and wait for him to get in the clear..........his path is leading right into a perfect open lane. He only has about 3 more steps to take and I decide like a moron that I am not comfortable enough. I move just a smidge and my Summit seat scrapes my back or stand or something and makes a noise [] Of course the buck freezes and is staring a hole right through me now. I have my crosshairs on the base of his neck and the stare down continues. A good minute and a half later he decides I am nothing and takes a couple more steps......BANG!! He dropped in his tracks like a ton of bricks and didn't even kick. Cool. I aim double lung always so my deer usually run a few yards and then pile up.......not him.

I call my bros and dad and tell them he is down and I can see him 40 yards right in front of me so no point in getting down. We all get back to hunting and I am not even really paying attention when 20 minutes later I look to my left again and see 2 does coming up the hillside and heading right for the path the buck took. I get down again and ready for a shot when it appears they went left instead of right so I don't care cause my dad will get them. I guess they were just hanging out because they did walk out on the same path as the buck but only one gave me a shot. I shot her as she smelled the downed buck [&:] She mule kicked and ran about 50 yards and fell over. Cool.

I misjudged the doe and she had some ground shrinkage when I went and got her

Just a little less meat I guess

I said if I got 3 deer this year I would grind a whole one up because I always run out of burger first and way too many people ask me for jerky these days. I will introduce that doe to my new LEM grinder later tonight

An hour later my brother shot a big doe. Great day.......3 deer in the truck. Only bad part is I am sitting here typing instead of hunting.

I am tagged out for now. I have one remaining doe tag but it is for an area a couple hours from here. Looks like it's a shower and a nap for me.

I will post some pics when I get home.

Good luck all.........and be SAFE

Old 11-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tagged out in NY by 7:40 am

Pretty work!! Congrats!!
Old 11-22-2004, 02:32 PM

Nice job!! Hope I have a morning half as good next Mon. whe PA opens.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good day
Old 11-22-2004, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

my dad got a 5 pointer 4 were broke off [:@]
Old 11-22-2004, 04:19 PM

Congrats!!!! Guess I should have went with u!!
Old 11-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

Way to go! Have not heard from my Dad as he is hunting up in Stamford, NY.

Bob
Old 11-22-2004, 07:38 PM

Great job, should have gone with you, at least I know if i kicked up a 160in buck you would have shot it unlike my co-partners , the deer was only 40 yards away from all of them and they all missed. Again congrats.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: lou-lou2

Great job, should have gone with you, at least I know if i kicked up a 160in buck you would have shot it unlike my co-partners , the deer was only 40 yards away from all of them and they all missed.

[]

By all means...........feel free to kick up a 160 class buck my way any time you want

I love my Remington 870.........and it loves Breneke' slugs. Don't know why but they group better then any ammo I have ever tried.......all that plus a Bushnell Trophy 1.5-4X scope and it is a pretty deadly setup.

Missing sucks.........you replay them 1,000 times more often then the slam dunks.

Tell them to kick one your way next time.

Good Luck guys. I am too beat to do anything tonight so pics will be tomorrow........and a long day butchering.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:59 PM

Here they are

Quick Reply: Tagged out in NY by 7:40 am (UPDATED WITH PICS)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.