Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anybody ever had this happen?

Old 11-21-2004, 10:00 PM

Default Anybody ever had this happen?

I was shotgun hunting this weekend. I see this buck coming in broadside in front of me. I wait till he gets about 40 yds to take my shot. I hit him right in the front shoulder taking out one lung and half his heart. He bolts about 10 feet then turns towards ME! He's charging directly at my stand hauling butt. I fire again hitting him in the front right leg and breaking it. He trips up for a split second and continues to charge. I'm thinking in my head holy s**t this deer is pissed. I have a ladder stand and he slams right into my stand cocking it to the side and giving me a jolt. I put another right in his back shooting straight down. He turns over and jumps runs another 15ft before he's down. This all happened in a matter of about 10 seconds, all I have to say is WOW that was a rush. I'm going to try and post the photos. Later

Old 11-21-2004, 10:01 PM

Default RE: Anybody ever had this happen?

Another. I thought the dog and deer nose to nose was a cool pic.

Old 11-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

I was shotgun hunting this weekend. I see this buck coming in broadside in front of me. I wait till he gets about 40 yds to take my shot. I hit him right in the front shoulder taking out one lung and half his heart. He bolts about 10 feet then turns towards ME! He's charging directly at my stand hauling butt. I fire again hitting him in the front right leg and breaking it. He trips up for a split second and continues to charge. I'm thinking in my head holy s**t this deer is pissed. I have a ladder stand and he slams right into my stand cocking it to the side and giving me a jolt. I put another right in his back shooting straight down. He turns over and jumps runs another 15ft before he's down. This all happened in a matter of about 10 seconds, all I have to say is WOW that was a rush. I'm going to try and post the photos. Later
I bet that was a rush.

He wanted to get you big time.

Good thing you were in a treestand.

Nice Buck.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

LOL, yes It did. I dont think it really knew what it was doing,but is a thrill
Old 11-22-2004, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kind of along the same lines. I was in my stand on saturday and was keeping my eyes on a hunter walking on a firebreak 60 yds from my stand. Why this guy was doing this is a whole different story. Anyway, he jumps a doe...shoots, and knocks it down. This guy sees that the deer is down but not yet dead....shoots again. Then he decides to cut the deers throat to finish it. When he walked up on the deer and put his foot on the deers head, she kicked the s!!! out of him and laid him out on his back.
Oh, the price we pay to hunt on public land! On a good note though, all the commotion pushed deer towards me and once a clear shot became available ( away from the hunter ) took a 100lbs+ doe.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

That does sound like a rush! If he was hit that good with the first shot, he was dead on his feet! A deer can run a long way, and do a lots of things during a "death run!"