Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunter shoots 5 dead

Old 11-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunter shoots 5 dead

Hunter shoots 5 dead after a confrotation over a stand.Three others injured.Its all over the news tonight.I can't believe that something like that actually happened.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:10 PM

Default RE: Hunter shoots 5 dead

From Milwaukee Jouranl
Five dead, three injured after hunter denied access to tree stand
By MEG JONES
Posted: Nov. 21, 2004
Hayward - Five deer hunters were shot to death and three were wounded Sunday by a man who was hunting from someone else's tree stand in northern Wisconsin, authorities said.

Advertisement

The bizarre attack happened in the Sawyer County Town of Meteor about noon on the second day of the gun-deer season, a time when hundreds of thousands of deer hunters are in the woods.

Sawyer County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle said a man from the Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minn. area, was arrested about 5 p.m. in Birchwood, just across the Sawyer County border in Washburn County.

Authorities said the rampage started after a hunting party saw a hunter they didn't know occupying their tree stand. That led to a confrontation. One victim used a walkie-talkie to call for help, but when other hunting partners came to the scene they also were shot, said Zeigle.

Some of the victims were from the Rice Lake area.

The wounded - all men - were taken to Lakeview Medical Center in Rice Lake. One man who was more seriously wounded than the other two was airlifted to St. Joseph Hospital in Marshfield where he was in critical condition. The other men were in stable and fair condition Sunday evening after surgery, a Lakeview Medical Center spokesman said.

Bill Wagner, 72, of Oshkosh, was about two miles away near Deer Lake with a party of about 20 other hunters. He said the incident was "very upsetting."

After they got word of a shooting, he and others went to round up the rest of the party. He said they heard sirens, planes and helicopters and noticed the surrounding roads blocked off.

"When you're hunting you don't expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you," he said. "You have no idea who is coming up to you."

It took about three hours to round up the other hunters, who were up to four miles apart, Wagner said.

The incident won't dampen their hunt, he said.

"We're all old, dyed-in-wool hunters," he said. "We wouldn't go home because of this but we will keep it in our minds. We're not forgetting it."

Jon Sleik, chairman of the Town of Cedar Lake, in neighboring Barron County, said after rumors began flowing that the victims were from the Rice Lake area, many families were worried and desperate for information.

"It just looks like a real ugly situation," Sleik said. "Unbelievable. I guess you don't expect this kind of thing to happen here. I guess you don't expect it anywhere."

Town of Birchwood Chairwoman Jimmie Dimick, who has lived in the community for 40 years, noted that residents refer to this period as "holy week" (because) everybody goes deer hunting."

"Especially for this part of the state, this doesn't happen," Dimick said of the shootings.

Wayne Blackdeer was tending bar at the Country Side Bar in Hayward when he heard about the incident from hunters stopping Sunday afternoon for drinks.

"People were talking about it," said Blackdeer, who listened to authorities on a police scanner call for backup.

"I heard them say four of (the hunters) were DOA and possibly a fifth" was dead on arrival, Blackdeer said.

The shootings were also the talk of the Cruz'in Bar in Hayward.

"Some hunters coming in said that there's somebody out in the woods that has just been shooting people," said bartender Jamie Stark.

An ambulance driver who dispatches out of Hayward was called to the scene west of Exeland in southern Sawyer County, but he said he ended not transporting anyone because there were enough ambulances to handle the victims.

The ambulance driver, who spoke on the condition his name not be used, said he was told five people were dead in the woods and authorities were not allowing anyone to go from the staging area, off of County Highway C and Deer Lake Road, to the crime scene in the woods about a mile away.

A helicopter was seen taking off with one of the victims about 4 p.m. Sunday.

Dave Weitz, a Department of Natural Resources spokesman based in Eau Claire, said several game wardens were assisting at the scene. Weitz has worked for the DNR for decades.

"I can't ever remember anything that sounds like this happening before," said Weitz.

Journal Sentinel reporter Tom Kertscher and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Complete coverage of this story will appear online later today and in the Milwuakee Journal Sentinel in the morning
Old 11-21-2004, 10:11 PM

I would love to see a link too that story. That's horrible, people with short fuses like that shouldn't be in the woods.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:31 PM

What is wrong with this world? NBA basketball, Clemson/S.C. brawls, five hunters shot dead? This is sickening.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

jeez what screw ball, yea that made alot of sense what an a$$ i hope he hangs. do they have the death penalty in wisconsin??
Old 11-22-2004, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found another article more detailed, http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/nov04/277439.asp
Very very sad , the thing that makes me very sad is one of the dead is the daughter of one of the survivors. the perp was a asian F*** with a sks who hunts with an sks anyway. It is so sickening make me want to round up a posse and go get this guy and hang him from a tree by his testicles and let the family members of the deceased beat him to death with broom handles.

those families who lost their loved ones have my prayers, God bless them all
Old 11-22-2004, 03:38 AM

Personally id like to post him up at 2oo yds and shoot rice grains off his eye lashes....i work in law enforcement so im around these pukes all the time. Just want to tear them apart, but that 8th amendment is always sitting on my shoulder shaking its finger at me. My condolences to the families....Ive seen what this kinda thing does to people and its sickening.[&o]
Old 11-22-2004, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

makes you wonder if you see someone in your treestand........... should you shoot first and then ask questions later???
Old 11-22-2004, 05:15 AM

By reading some of these responses I get the feeling many among us are no better then that guy who killed those people.

Being a hunter in Wi I thought something like this would happen but not to this magnitude. I wouldn't be suprised if this isn't the first and it won't be the last. People have no respect for other's property and think they can barge anywhere to hunt.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:25 AM

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/10242906.htm

Quick Reply: Hunter shoots 5 dead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.