Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunter shoots 5 dead

Old 11-22-2004, 07:30 PM

Default RE: Hunter shoots 5 dead

I'd expect a guy who could snap like that to have a history of snapping like that. It'll be interesting to see how many previous assault, battery, domestic disturbance, DUIs, and disorderlies will be found on this guys record. I bet we know by tomorrow. His attorney's statements ought to be interesting as well. My prediction is a big "no comment" or some "my client acted in self-defense" line (though I don't see how anyone could buy a self-defense argument, particularly when the guy chased down some of his victims).

I know many outdoorsmen are the type to do it ourselves and not go crying for help all the time. But sometimes it is best to just call the police (gotta get something for our tax money). An alternative ending to this could have been a property owner spending the rest of his life in prison for making a mistake in a nervous situation. Not good either way, though I guess ts better to be judged by 12 than buried by six... Even better to dial 911 and let the pros take care of it.

Wisconsin is great for camping, hiking, boating, and fishing, but I'll stick to drab ole Illinois for my shooting sports. I know this story is an aberation, but hunters getting shot by other hunters in Wisconsin isn't. Way too much mixing of beer with sport up there - or at least that's the perception we have "down south" here in Illinois. (I've alway thought Illinois and Wisconsin had their rules backwards - Illinois should allow centerfires and Wisconsin should be shotgun only) I'll put a sock in it now...not making any friends up in Wisconsin...
Old 11-22-2004, 07:37 PM

Stupid Hmongs...im not being racist here, but these people are always raising hell on public land. all over down here. they go out and shoot too many squirrels, and they dont care if they zipped a round over your head or hit you. they outta deport this guy, send him back to his refugee camp in Thailand. i feel bad for the family. my algebra teacher has a hunting cabin 2 miles from there, but he wasnt there on sunday he said. his uncle knows the people that got killed, in fact they wre good friends. they better throw the book at this guy.

slayer
Old 11-22-2004, 07:46 PM

man thats crazy that you know somebody that knew them. man that just makes me think how lucky i might be, the other day i went hunting across the road because no one hardly ever hunts over there and i dont ever go there either but i just wanted to see if there were any deer over there that i havent been seeing on my place but sure enough the guys grandson came walking up in the woods and caught me. If it would of been an adult male no telling what would have happened to me I just told him I was tracking a deer i shot at.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Targeter

...I know this story is an aberation, but hunters getting shot by other hunters in Wisconsin isn't. Way too much mixing of beer with sport up there - or at least that's the perception we have "down south" here in Illinois. (I've alway thought Illinois and Wisconsin had their rules backwards - Illinois should allow centerfires and Wisconsin should be shotgun only) I'll put a sock in it now...not making any friends up in Wisconsin...
Where do you come up with stereotypes like this? Wow, get a clue!!! Northern Wisconsin has hundreds of thousands of acres of national forest. Shotgun only? Pfft! Not to mention the shooter is from Minnesota. What's your insight of Minnesotans now? I won't even address the "mixing of beer with sport" and your "perceptions". Wisconsin's safety record during the gun season has been excellent for many years. Geez, I haven't read such useless drivel in a long time.[:@]
Old 11-22-2004, 09:20 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

my reaction this morning when I read it was disbelief. I worked in law enforcement and corrections for 7 years and saw lots of crazy stuff. I live outside of Richmond VA. IT's no big deal for people to kill each other in cities for a handful of drugs, clothes, shoes, hubcaps, some perceived insult. I guess the reason this is so crazy to us is that most of us embrace hunting as part of something more. Something that gets us in touch with the less crowded and "civilized" parts of the world. I know it gives me a sense of being different from the cockroaches that infest the city. I hunted with an SKS for a couple years. It was all I had and I knew I could take a deer up to 100 yards. It's also a pretty formidable weapon in a gunfight. That guy was obviously insane. There really is no point trying to make sense of it because you never will. I think it's a shame they don't have the death penalty in that state ( or so a previous post stated). I just can't even begin to understand killing someone over a deer. I have to wonder what the heck this guy was doing out there.

David
Old 11-22-2004, 09:50 PM

The total is now six dead. Denny Drew lost his battle to overcome his injuries. I knew Denny from the races. I used to race against his brother. Denny was a one of a kind guy. May he rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims. God Speed
Dave Madsen & family
Old 11-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

god help the families. and i am supposed to go on a deer trip this friday by myself to 7000 acres of management forest land and now this. my wife is freking. doesn't want me to go, and not sure i want to. but i know i will. i hope they fry, inject, something. this guy doesn't deserve to carry on when good people didn't have that option. if this makes me just as bad as him then you all should go live in vietnam. the bible states an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth. amen
Old 11-22-2004, 10:47 PM

Gunsnbowses, it doesn't matter where the killer was from - he was in Wisconsin. There's something that happens when you cross the state line. For example, every time I've gone Kayaking in Wisconsin, I've gotten drunk. What more proof could you possibly want

Now let me tell you about Minnesota...
Old 11-23-2004, 01:07 AM

Sad truth is I see it every year I hunt (no shootings but....).

I can't hunt every year because of my profession but when I do hunt on public land I get treated (sometimes) as if I were trespassing. One can't just pick a piece of land and start hunting it because if that land is hunted by someone else they will run you off. I've seen it basically every year I have hunted. I can see where it can get violent. Everyone is after that trophy and they won't stop short to get it...the only thing they won't do is hunt ethically. Sad truth.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

I know I'm about to kick an antbed... so I will preface my statement with this clarification... "I don't care." This idiot should be buried up to his neck... & a greiving family member should bush-hogg his sorry azz... that way no one has to lift a finger to burry the freak afterwards.

Quick Reply: Hunter shoots 5 dead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.