Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Live weight to dressed weight??? >

Live weight to dressed weight???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Live weight to dressed weight???

Old 11-21-2004, 06:40 PM
CJW

Default Live weight to dressed weight???

Is there a formula to figure live weight to dressed weight, or is there a basic rule of thumb? I killed a 170 to 180 pound buck this friday during the shotgun opener. He was a good 2 1/2 yr. old 8 point with antlers out to the tips of his ears. He was my first buck.

CJW
Old 11-21-2004, 07:44 PM

Default RE: Live weight to dressed weight???

This should be what your looking for..

http://www.whitetaildeer.com/howto/weight/
Old 11-21-2004, 08:06 PM

There really is no reliable chart or formula that will give you dressed weight by measuring chest girth. On the chart pocomoke gave, I think the live to dressed weight ratio is fairly close. However, it doesn't take into account the length of the animal. Weighing the dressed animal on a certified scale is the only accurate measure. I tried all of the charts last year after doubting my deer's dressed weight, and came up with answers ranging from 140-240 pounds!

A reliable scale is the only way to know for sure. Around here, weight determines how big a deer is, so most everyone weighs them.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you add 25-30% of the dressed weight you will come close but as split-hoof stated, the only reliable means is to weigh it. That is not usually practical or necessary as an estimate will get you into the ball park. Congratulations on your first Buck and may you enjoy many more in the future.