Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First deer in 10 years!

Old 11-17-2004, 04:44 PM

Default First deer in 10 years!

I finally shot my first deer since 1994. In 1994 I lived in Billings, MT, and had killed a couple of does, but never a buck. Well, tonight that changed. We had moved back to Georgia four years ago and I recently decided to take up deer hunting again. I missed a buck on opening day (long story) and I had not seen anything since that week. Let me clarify something, I pastor a church in rural West Georgia. I had set up a stand out behind our church which overlooked a large field. We are planning a turkey shot in December as a fund raiser and we had targets in place. I decided to take my 30-30 over to shoot it just a couple of times to see how well it was placing. I drove down onto the field, and placed one shell in the chamber, then a young spike came out of the woods. I almost decided not to shoot, but I was wanting some meat and said, "O well" and then shot. I had forgotten to take the safety off. The buck started to run, and I just started making some funny noises, since I didn't have my deer call with me. After running about 30 yards, he stopped to check out my strange noises, I pulled the trigger again, nothing happened again. I ejected the shell, grabbed it up off the ground and the buck was running again. I started my strange noises again while putting the shell in the chamber. He stopped again (can you believe it?) and that was his mistake. First buck ever and first deer in 10 years since leaving Montana.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First deer in 10 years!

Nice job reverend,
sounds like that gun could use some prayer.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:14 PM

I have no idea why that shell would not discharge. I'm still amazed that the deer stayed in close enough for me to shoot him after two previous attempts. By the way hillbilly, have you ever hunted around Columbus and Nye in Montana?
Old 11-17-2004, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Way to go Banjo - we're glad to have you back in the hunt club.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the buck! ... Welcome back to hunting! ... Thanks for sharing the story!
Old 11-18-2004, 02:01 AM

Sounds like what young bucks do. They always give you a second chance.