Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

tracking

Old 11-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Spike

Default tracking

this is my first year hunting and i finally got a shot at a nice big doe. it was 5:33 pm and i took the shot 38.5yds and saw the arrow go right into her just behind the shoulder. she staggered 4 steps then took off. i waited 30mins then went looking. hear is the ?? i found absolutely no blood what so ever and am 100% sure i hit her. i went looking the next morn and when i realized there wasnt anyblood i went looking where she went into the woods. i walked in circles for 6hrs and didnt find anything. i did howvevr realize i washad walked through about 6 diff sets of beds.. will the deer return to them or did i really screw up??
Old 11-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tracking

The deer will come back to their beds or bed in that same general area if you do not put to much pressure on them. Dont worry. About the doe--did you find the arrow? If it stuck in her and did not penetrate the other side it is possible she wouldn't leave much blood--Look for tracks that are really dug in and also look for blood on vegetation that she would have passed by. Typically (not always) a mortally wounded deer will run down hill and will usually run strait thru brush instead of staying on trails. If all else fails search in grid pattern formation and use your nose. let us know if you find her. good luck
Old 11-17-2004, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

id look for the arrow first that could tell you a whole lot, and second i wait an hour before i even go get the arrow so i dont push the deer thats the worst thing you could do..so id say find the arrow first and that will tell you for sure if you hit it..keep us posted
Old 11-17-2004, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Hillybilly and bwhunter. If you couldn't find the arrow, there is a good chance it did not go all the way through her. I had this happen with a mechanical I was shooting earlier this year. I shot, knew I had hit the mark, but no blood or arrow. Luckily, I waited patiently and heard her fall so I knew the general direction to head once I made it to the point where I lost sight. When I got to the deer, the arrow punctured just behind the right shoulder but lodged in the bone of the opposite shoulder. No blood till I pulled out the arrow, then plenty - although too late by then.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:37 PM
Spike

ty for the input all looked every day this week for as long as i could to no avail...coyoties probably got her anyway they r thick where im at...farm owner wont let us thin them out.. looked for arrow for a while never did fine it. going to go try again fri morn
Old 11-20-2004, 04:50 PM

bouncer;

The doe probably bled internally, particularly if you shot from an elevated position. If you hit it just behind the rib cabe square-off you probably gut shot it. The lungs just behind the front leg is the best location. Penetration is also important. If you don't hit bone and shoot razar type blades with sufficient bow weight you should penetrate through the deer to make a place for blood to drain. That said, the best bet is to get a good puppy and train it to only trail blood. I have a pureblood Jagdterrier I bought two and a half years ago and she had found two buck for me. One, like yours didn't leave any visible blood, but Minnie stuck her nose into the ground and smelled miniscular dropletts. She then took of (on a leash) and trailed directly to both deer here in NW FL and North Michigan. The dog, like Minnie, can also be a great companion, house dog, family dog and love kids. You cant loose with a good bloodtrailing dog...
Old 11-20-2004, 09:43 PM

I had a deer I shot the other year which had everything go wrong with it, from me messing up the shot AND having the deer move. I new I hit it but there was no blood. If you don't find blood instantly step back before you disturb anything.

I'm assuming you aren't in a field and there is leaves. Step back and look. You will be able to come up with a fairly good idea of where she ran. If you don't have blood you need to deal with what you DO have. Considering where you saw her take off and the leaves that will be kicked up you should be able to form a decent idea of a path which was taken. If she IS injured you will eventually come along some sort of blood trail to follow mixed with the trail of kicked of leaves. You will be able to find out whether or not you got her.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The buck that I shot 11-13-04 left me no blood trail .If you get a high lung shot it will bleed inside for the most part . I saw it for 50-60 yds of the 75 yds it ran and new where it was running to . There was blood on grass and brush at the entrance hole hight (up hill shot) for the last 10 feet only. If you think it was a good shot look in every nook and cranny of cover where it ran and look high not just on the ground.

And yess the deer will come back to bed in the same area.