Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Processing Question.

Old 11-16-2004, 09:31 PM
Spike

Default Deer Processing Question.

I got my deer processed at a local meat processor and ordered what I thought was the basic cuts(steaks, chops, tenderloins), and with the trimmings, 20 pounds of jerky and the rest hamburger. Price was $150. When I brought it home and opened the boxes, all I found was the jerky and hamburger. I'm thinking there COULD have been a misunderstanding or I just didn't get the rest of my order. Does this seem right or should I call them and ask where the rest is?? Oh, and the basic cuts for a deer were priced around $80 I believe. I know it's not a really interesting topic, but I was really dissapointed when I seen what I recieved. Any input is appreciated. Thanks, Nick
Old 11-16-2004, 09:33 PM

Default RE: Deer Processing Question.

You paid $150 just to have a deer butchered?

Not to be mean but, I watched someone do one and then I did mine right after with their help. Ask the butcher if you can watch him do one.

It only takes about an hour to thoroughly de-meat a deer.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:42 PM
Spike

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, paid out the butt for processing. I've always wanted to just do it myself, but have never had anyone show me how and haven't seen it done. That's what sucks so much about this is that I paid that much and don't have any of the steaks or chops. Probably have to buy a info-video on butchering.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:44 PM
Spike

You paid $150 just to have a deer butchered?
And the $150 stings just a tad more when I read that. ;-)
Old 11-17-2004, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would call the processor back and ask some questions. We have a processor here in Kentucky that has some shady business practices and after a couple of hunters experienced what you just did, all the locals "black balled" the processor and will not take a deer to him. Additionally, like LostinSpace, I watched a fellow hunter butcher his deer and it is easier then you think. If you buy a Kitchen Aid for sausage and ground meat or jerky, there is no need for an processing.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

How much did the deer weigh and how much meat did you get back?

twenty lbs of jerky, plus burger, say 40 lbs, that's alot of meat. You will get roughly 50-60% of the dressed weight as boned meat.

--Bob
Old 11-17-2004, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

1) The price of $150 seems high. What do others pay for processing? I process my animals myself so can't provide information, but it seems like I've heard of this being done for about $60 in Oklahoma. I'll try to look up more information on this.

2) Even if you got all your game back, the processor didn't honor your request to provide you with specific cuts. Personally, it is very disappointing to imagine those backstraps winding up as either jerky or mere ground meat!!! You should call the processor to task on this failure to do what was agreed upon. Be advised that meat loses substantial weight when it is turned into jerky, as dehydrating the meat is an important part of the process.

3) Butchering your own meat is simple, and if you are willing to spend the time and trouble to butcher your meat you should not let the fact that you have never seen it done before deter you from doing this with your next deer. If you want to read a good description of this process, read "Basic Butchering of Livestock and Game" by John J. Mettler Jr. Order the book from Amazon (www.amazon.com) or look for it in the public library. The book gives very thorough description of the butchering process. Then again, you don't need this book to butcher the animal. Look for information on the web, there is plenty out there. You may even find a video tape, but again this is not necessary.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:40 AM

Yeah, I actually just learned how to butcher my own deer last week, and I was surprised how easy it is. And man, can you get a deer done fast when you have a couple of people working on it. We butchered and cleaned the steaks and backstraps ourselves, and then took the scrap meat to the butcher for sausage (which was $2/lb), so we didn't spend much money at all.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have thought some more about your report about getting 20 LBS of jerky and left-over meat as hamburger. A buck that dresses out at 100 LBS may yield 50 LBS of recovered, de-boned meat (head, hide, bones get thrown away). Because of the dehydration involved, maybe 40 LBS of meat is required to provide 20 LBS of finished deer jerky? Maybe the processor faithfully executed your order to the best of his understanding and gave you all your meat!?

How big was your animal? If it field dressed 240 LBS, you might have questions; if it field dressed less than 100 LBS, maybe you got what you ordered.

Back on the butcher it yourself theme, it is easy and you have more control of what you get back. You want specific cuts, you cut it that way. Most people probably do have ideosynchratic processing desires -- or would if they knew that they could have it anyway they wanted it cut up!!!
Old 11-17-2004, 10:58 AM

Once you learn the technique all you need is a meat slicer, grinder and I recomend a vacume sealer. They keep the meat fresher longer. We process our own deer but some of the members in our camp pay to have there deer butchered and here it cost about 75 dollars a deer. So 150 sounds pretty steep to me. But it depends on where you live. But I would still go back and ask the butcher where the other meat went cause it doesnt sound like you got it all.

Quick Reply: Deer Processing Question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.