Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Cuting Pelvic Bone When Field Dressing >

Cuting Pelvic Bone When Field Dressing

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cuting Pelvic Bone When Field Dressing

Old 11-15-2004, 06:56 PM

Default RE: Cuting Pelvic Bone When Field Dressing

Splitting the hips is not at all that big of a job. Cut around the anus a bit then reach up there from the inside and pull it through, use a little force and don't be afraid to get dirty. Rip that baby out and split the bone with a saw. 4 or 5 glides from a saw and its a done deal and your prime meat is cooling.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

I core the anus out and it all comes out in one mess. no need to split pelvic bone, leave that for the butcher
Old 11-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

I seem to be in the minority here, but I like to split the pelvis. But, as stated in my site (following), there's many correct ways to field dress an animal. This is just the way I do it. I like one of the little folding saws to split the pelvis.

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/gutting.html
Old 11-16-2004, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use a big pair of loppers.....works great
Old 11-16-2004, 05:44 AM

Canuck; That's one of the very best sites I've seen for gutting big game.... Every new hunter should check it out to make sure they end up with the best end product possible!!!
Old 11-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to cut the pelvic...then would disconnect the hip bone from pelvic...now I bone the hams out...don't have to worry about the pee sack..just follow the pelvic bone with your knife...along the backside, then the front (belly side)...then cut around the bottom of the leg bone, and follow the bone back to the pelvic...around all sides of leg bone...and cut, pull hams off...will come off without any bones to go in freezer...you can follow the muscle around bottom of the ham...this runs along the leg bone...and either cut this muscle off...or take off as one piece...after you do 3-4 deer, this is faster than cutting the whole hams off...

If you want to cut the bones...I've found that a miter box saw works
nicely...Good Luck
Old 11-16-2004, 09:24 AM
bigcountry

JRBSR, you were asking how to cut around the anus. First I punture the skin around the anus. I do this in the hair. I see alot guys going staight up in the anus, and this will contaminate your meat. I cut say a 2" circle around the anus. I then (with gloves thru all this) pull out the anus and use my knife going inside working it away from the the inside of the pelvis. You do this about 3" in and that should do it.

Old 11-16-2004, 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: jrbsr

You don't need to do that.I carry a folding buck fillet knife and it cuts right around the anus perfectly.
Can you explane just how to do that?

It sounds better but I have never seen it done.

Thank You
I do not split the pelvis because it seems to cause more hassle than it is worth. Sawing is a mess, too.

A lot of guys can't get past this, but to cut the anus out, like bigcountry said, use a long slender sharp knife like a caping or fillet knife. Stick your index finger straight up his arse and use it as a guide to cleanly and smoothly cut around the anus. Once you do it a couple of times, by far the slickest and cleanest method.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I start by cutting aroung the anus. I put a wire tie on the end of the old poop chute. At this point I will split the skin over the pelvis and cut down to reveal the H bone (the ridge on the pelvis). I then split the H-bone with my knife. If you hit it just right, you can pop the pelvis with a knife. I then zip open the gut area with my gut hook, reach behind the outside skirt(diaphram) and bust loose the guts and pull them out towards the back end. The poop chute, pee sack and every thing will come right out without breaking. Get the old heart and lungs and you are good to go. I always make sure to get the plastic wire tie and put it in my pocket when finished.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:01 PM

For field dressing, it's just that; field dressing. I leave the bladder in and just wring the turds down the intestine before I slice it in two. I keep from cutting the hide to a bare minimum to help prevent dirt, etc. from getting on the hams. I'll clean that stuff all out while it's hanging in the garage by breaking the pelvic bone with a hatchet and waterhose.

Quick Reply: Cuting Pelvic Bone When Field Dressing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.