Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

By the Book

Old 11-17-2004, 10:46 AM

Default RE: By the Book

Always by the book. It just isnt worth it not too.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as harvesting goes--always by the book--thats part of the fun and mental stimulation-the rules of the game--I do agree with Hiawatha though on some other rules--for instance, if I am way back in the bush and not moving a may take my orange off--probably not but have occasionally. In WV, where I grew up, you can not have any bullets in the gun magazine while in the vehicle, but most of us left them in there just taking the one out of the barrel. To abide by the harvest rules shows respect for the animal which is what I hope we all have. I knew a guy once who killed a couple of bucks one particular day and just let them lay. You were allowed one a day. If he had taken them home and eaten them I wouldn't have said a thing--but since he walked away from them I called the game warden and he got to spend a couple of hours under the bright light--he was an a55hole anyway and was no sportsman.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:39 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

By the book. It's cost me. I walked out onto a gang of turkey that just stood there while I drew down on them with my bow. I had been hunting deer that day....didn't know if the turkey were in season so I let it back down. They were, and I have never had another shot at a turkey. But I have to sleep with myself when the day ends. Now if I was hungry, or my family was hungry....I might pluck a deer or two to eat and feed my family. Thank God, I havn't been hungry in a number of years, and my kids have never known hunger.

David
Old 11-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

i never have and never will. I hunt for me, and to make myself happy. I would not have any pride in taking a deer illegally whatsoever. I have taken bad shots at deer before, but i have learned from it. I dont try to impress anyone but myself.