Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you take a book? >

Do you take a book?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you take a book?

Old 08-24-2003, 05:05 PM

Default Do you take a book?

Someone suggested to take a book to read during the hunt to help with the boredom. Do you do it? Do you think that this is a good Idea, or is it to much of a distraction
Old 08-24-2003, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do you take a book?

I don' t take a book magazine or anything with me. I like to keep my ears open and my eyes peeled for any movement that might take place. but, I do take a nap or 2 while on stand.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would not suggest taking any reading material either. There are a lot of times they some how sneak up on you while you are paying attention, let alone not paying attention. Reading and flipping pages will only take your attention away from where it really needs to be. When that deer sneaks up on you if you are reading a mag or something chances are you might not get that shot. Between putting the reading material down securly so it dosen' t fall to the ground standing up grabing your bow aiming and taking a shot with out being busted could be a little too much. Alot of times you only have a couple of seconds, especially during the pre rut to full rut. Them big boys are usually in a hurry trying to find them does. Just my opinion though.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve know a few hunters who have read while in the stand, and they have never been very successful. I would not recomend reading. If your hunts are fairly long each time (more than 4 hours) shorten them up alittle. Hunt the prime time! I so know several hunters who only hunt 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a crack, thats pretty manageable!

Good Luck!
Old 08-24-2003, 06:26 PM

If you plan on reading, try taking something to read that you won' t get too caught up in the plot. Every paragraph or so look up. I have never done this, but I have heard of people doing this successfully.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:19 PM

I' m like bogobble. I don' t take anything to read, but I do tend to take a cat nap or two. I' m a light sleeper. ( If my job is running smooth, I do the same thing at work on midnight shift).I open my eyes every few minutes to look around for any deer sneaking around. It is amazing how a 5 minute nap can revitalize you.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:49 PM

I tried it early last season and got burned. I would read half a page and look around for a few minutes then read another half page. I just happened to be reading part of a page when Mr. Decent 8 point wondered down the trail right where I was set up for him to be. I had time to dump the book in my coat, stand up and by that time he was past the shooting opportunity. I haven' t taken reading material in the woods since.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:46 PM

I think that would be a bad idea. I like to stay alert on stand. If I am in a stand where I don' t think that I am going to see anything so I take a book to pass the time.... It' s to move or switich stands!
Old 08-25-2003, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

I usually stay on stand from daylight to dark and I dont think I could do that without a good book.
Someone suggested not staying on stand so long but my way of thinking is I stand a lot better chance of getting a deer if I' m sitting in my stand reading versus being out of my stand because I got bored.
As far as success (knock on wood) I seem to do pretty well. 11 pt. and 8 pt. last year.
Just my 2 cents worth. Have a great day!
Old 08-25-2003, 06:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes and no. During archery season I definitely do not take anything with me to read. However, during rifle, especially when I take the hunting blind, I do take a book to read in order to pass the time.

I would not do it during archery because, from my perspective, you have to be more alert because your shots are much closer and the foliage is much, much thicker. In rifle I tend to be able to see farther, hear them coming more often and have more freedom of movement inside the blind when compared with a treestand.

Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Do you take a book?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.